Going BIG

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Knobz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my Yukon is currently lowered (3/5 drop) and I'm already kinda tired of the slammed rough ride so I'm gonna lift it now. I just moved back to Santa Cruz, CA and the roads suck really bad and there's lots of steep driveways all over so the lowered is fun to drive but not practical anymore.

I think I've decided on the plan for the lift. Planning on going with a 6" ProComp lift, 3" body lift and the ford keys and prolly be around 10" of lift. Gonna run 37" tires on 20's. Gonna throw some other stuff on at the same time like K&N intake, throttle body spacer, Flowmaster 40 series exhaust and a dual steering stabilizer and maybe some LED tails.

I can't wait to get it lifted!!!!
It's gonna look killer. It's already all debagded and tinted up, even got 45% on the windshield. And the whole truck has been wet sanded so there's no orange peel so the paint looks super glassy. And it has a Denali front end.

Comments and suggestions would be cool in case there's anything I'm missing or mods I should do.

Well stay tuned and ill have pics up soon.

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't wait to see it!!

Are you going to sell your drop kit?

OP
OP
Knobz

Knobz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't wait to see it!!

Are you going to sell your drop kit?

Yes the drop kit will be up for sale. It's almost brand new. Maybe 9 months old. The parts I have will be Belltech spindles that have been powdercoated red, DJM keys, Belltech SP shocks all around, DJM TB 5.5 coils, DJM rear hardware kit.

OP
OP
Knobz

Knobz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont waste your money on the TB Spacer

Throttle Body Spacer

Oh alright. Good to know. I saw TB and thought trailblazer at first.

So I went in and talked to a local lift shop about the lift today and the guy was really trying to talk me away from doing the ford keys. He was saying its gonna put a lot of stress on the torsion bars.

And then he also highly recommended re-gearing it right away cuz he said the stock gears are a weak link??

I know there's a couple guys on here with the big lifts(9-13") with 37" tires... Are you guys having lots of problems with parts breaking and/or wearing out??

What do you guys think? Would I be good running a 6" lift and 3"body lift for 9" total. Would that be high enough to clear the 37" tires?

The 'ER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would stay away from the body lift. Keep it in the suspension. IMO it looks way better. You could do a more moderate key with your lift then get some beefy meats under your truck. Do you have a good tire shop near you? I am lucky and have a great one that we do a lot of business with so they help me out a ton. I have 33" tires on 3" ebay keys and 2" spacers. As far as re gearing absolutely do it. You will regret it if you don't. I know there are bigger lift kits out there but they are pricey. I know one guy with a Full throttle suspension lift that I would love but the price tag is steep. But hey it is only money right!

OP
OP
Knobz

Knobz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So in with an update. Went to the suspension shop today and talked to the guy there. I think I'm gonna go with Rough Country's new NTD(non torsion drop) lift to give maximum ground clearance.

And I can't decide if I wanna run 20" rims or 17" rims... The 17" rim/tire combo is about $900 cheaper... My buddy says I mine as well just go all out and get the 20's haha

Opinions?

2011Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO i wouldnt run a rough country if you paid me. Do a RCD they are more $ but well worth it. Plus it doesnt stick the front tires out as bad and keeps a more even track width. If i were running 37's i would re-gear. What are your factory gears? I had a 99 F150 with 9" lift 38's and a 4.6L slightly modded. I ran 4.88 gears instead of the stock 3.73's and it had more power than my 03 Ram 2500 hemi with 35's. Regearing will bring the performance back to stock and it will drive alot better. What about a CTS suspension (california super trucks) they might make a full 10" suspension lift. I think they are pretty nice setups also. I dont know for sure though.

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

Another note regearing helps with the overall rolling mass of big tires and wheels. Your 37's with 20" wheels will probably weigh about 170lbs each. It takes alot to push that. I say go 20" for sure it would look badass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sahidblack

Latest posts