GM Quality Control?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know what you are right. I thought mine looked "off" and didn't look at them closely until now. Upon inspection, they are definitely not level. Both sides are crooked and tilt higher as they move away from the hood. I assume these are applied by a robot? I don't think a human in Texas could apply these consistently perfectly crooked on every truck?

Take a look at this YouTube and pause it at 1:21 - 1:23. That's exactly how my driver's side looks. GM...:(

Check out 2:13. They use a template for the lettering but still has the human factor. My 18 passenger door lettering slants up and is not level. I could have complained but I didn’t want them messing with it. They would cause more issue and it probably wouldn’t be any better. Gm quality control was always an issue. My driver front fender is slightly raised higher than the door. Not letting them touch it either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReaperHWK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely some quality issues. I've reported many on this site.
My driver door is not flush at the top, which I think contributes to the noise I hear at my left ear. There is not enough tension being applied at the top door seals, so the plastic trim makes ticking sounds as the door pulses in/out going down the road. I can mimic this sound by lightly touching the plastic trim.

Also is a strange trim piece that protrudes out farther than the weather stripping. Pic below.

View attachment 261059

However, most of the interior is pretty good. They could have used better plastics, as they feel cheap in most applications. It seems the plastics used around the doors/windows is very cheap as well.

I'm just getting tired of taking it in to the dealer. It's still a quiet ride and I'm trying not to be so **** about everything. No water leaks or excessive wind noise, so I'm ok with it.

Looks like from your picture all you need to do is pull the small part of the weather stripping lip out and it would be fixed, it's the plastic piece was installed over it.

NEVERMIND, it would then have to be out on the bottom. Can't figure out how to delete this post.

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's weird. The hard plastic actually comes into contact with door, before the weather stripping. You can feel a slight breeze of air in that location going down the road. Not a good seal. The plastic is snapped into position correctly as well.

twernst

Reaction score
I knew I wasn't crazy, but maybe they have two robots as several I have seen are correct on passenger but off on door, or maybe they just "catch and correct" those. I definitely have seen several with both sides off.

Either way, I am still super envious an looking forward to when i have that problem for a week or so, once I get mine in a year or two. But I will be debadging for the most part, so won't matter long.

David Kriss

Reaction score
I have a 2001 Yukon XL with 300,000+ miles on it. The service manager at the local GMC dealer keeps telling me that the early 2000 series was the best series of Yukons built. He said that if I trade it in, The dealer will have sold it within a week. I've had relatively few problems (considering it's almost 20 years old). I have a couple friends with 5 to 10 year old versions and they have more problems than I do. GM's quality isn't what it used to be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k09viper