Get a catch can before any mods.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not at all. It's just PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation), which is just a means for the air that builds up in the crankcase to be vented off so that it doesn't build up pressure and blow out seals and gaskets. The air contains combustion blow-by which includes fuel/hydrocarbons and engine oil, so it can't be simply vented into atmosphere. It's routed back into the intake so that it can be drawn into the combustion chambers where it's burned off. The problem is that there is excessive oil in this blow-by- too much to remain as a mist/vapor and be burned off. So it makes it's way through the entire system and puddles up everywhere. The catch can simply filters the oil from the PCV air. It gives it a place to "puddle up" (collect inside the can) instead of puddling up inside the intake manifold. The catch can does not impede the flow of or add anything to the PCV air, so it doesn't increase the engine's emissions. If anything, it would reduce some of the emissions (albeit very very slight) because of the engine oil that is no longer being burned off in the combustion chambers. The PCV system has virtually nothing to do with the engine's efficiency, so fuel economy is unaffected. Although, on a minuscule, essentially immeasurable level, the PCV system would increase economy because the unburnt hydrocarbons in the blow-by are passed by a second time where they are burned off. This would help the engine achieve and maintain the target A/F ratio without that extra amount of fuel having to come from the injectors. Again, it's an extremely small and negligible amount.

The catch can is really more of a "band-aid" to a minor design flaw by GM. But, pretty much any engine, regardless of manufacturer, has oil mist in the PCV stream and could probably benefit from a catch can. GM's flaw is that the LS engine has more than what can easily be burned off. The other maker's engines pass too small of an amount of oil to be collected- not enough for the maker to include an OEM catch can which would be yet another maintenance item for the consumer.

Quite accurate and informative. Thank you.

Catch cans are a very popular for many Dodge engines, too. Back when I drove a Dodge, I began hearing about a 'catch can' and had no idea what it was, what it did, or why it was desirable or necessary.

After I installed one on a 5.7 Hemi engine it all became more clear: while minimal oil would be collected in the catch can during highway miles, lots of stop & go driving would result in up to 2 oz of oil in the can per 2,500 miles.

Last edited:

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
It's got a drain on the side. If it is empty, I will fabricate my own baffle. I have access to some aluminum sheet and CNC machinery but looking at similar designs, there is a baffle already in there. My concern is being able to rotate the top plate to correct the direction of the ports. I will update once I get it in my hands.

Yeah.... I was thinking a baffle and some steel wool and a down pipe to get the intake port down towards the bottom of the can.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a can on the way, so now I ask. What size rubber hose should I pick up to install? What is the factory hose ID. The can I got was specific to the LS engine. http://www.ebay.com/itm/151552438280?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT. The mounting bracket is for the passenger side head but the Intake tube may be in the way. Probably just fabricate a new one for mounting on the brake booster.
My lazy *** just went through 15 pages or so of this thread. I am assuming I need 3/8" fuel line?

Got up to page 14 this morn before i just ordered the damn thing.....

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It worked for me. Not sure on the can they are speaking of, but once I get mine in my hand, I will evaluate my next step. Already have some ideas on a baffle/filter.

04BUCKET

Reaction score
Read almost all of this...did I miss if using a vented/filtered catch can works?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrLeritz