gears question and whats needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon04

Reaction score
recently finished my Yukon Denali I added a 6" lift 35"s I want to change my gears to etiwgr 4:88 or 4:56 can anyone give me a few suggestions about the good or the bad for each? I do and will continue to tow and its highway driven when towing. Also what size gears do I need 10 bolt and 8.5? Do I need a new carrier for the front what's a good posi for the rear being my oem has 168k

Drippin Wett

Reaction score
Well guys I hate to bump an old thread, but rather than starting a new one. I'm ready to pull the trigger on Stage 1. (installing gears in my rear end) I'm running 35*12.5*18's, And plan on going with 4.56's . I have pretty much the same questions above. Before Y'all flame me i did a search. Any particular brand you prefer? What beirings should I replace? Is it an 8.5" 10 bolt? Can I put me a pretty differential cover on there with the sway bar? I plan on ordering from a site sponsor,(RockAuto). Any tips sure would be appreciated. I tow the heck out of a 22' deepwater boat in the summer time, and I am in need of more grunt.

Reaction score
I have Yukon gears in my tahoe 4:56 been in there about a year with no problems I did full Bering replacement when I did em as well.

-bigwhite4door901

Drippin Wett

Reaction score
Thanks man, I was starting to think we may have been the only 2 doing gear swaps. I plan on doing bearing swap too.

Reaction score
Buy a rebuild kit it comes with all the Bearings, races,shims and all the other little stuff you need to put it I'm and replace

-bigwhite4door901

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900