Gas Smell & rough starts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NJ04HOE

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey what's up everybody? I haven't been on much lately but now I'm back with a problem. For the past week I've been smelling gas and my tahoe's been starting kind of hard, I did a little research and I found a video on you tube which shows how to replace the fuel pressure regulator so I thought I'd start with that but just my luck I found out on the 04's and up its in or on the tank. I knew that the fuel pump was in the tank and I was hoping to avoid that for right now. I didn't find a fuel filter on my frame so I'm assuming that's in the tank also?
Has anyone done the fuel pressure regulator, filter or pump on an 04+? I'm looking for any advise on how to handle this because I don't want to take it to a shop and get ripped off.
Thanks in advance for your help

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

02tahoeindiana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had rough starts, smelt gas, and fluctuating idle and it was the intake gasket spraying fuel out i believe, its been awhile.

OP
OP
NJ04HOE

NJ04HOE

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gas Smell & rough starts

Thanks 02, I checked that out and didn't see any signs of fuel. Ironically since I started this thread it starts fine now but there's still a smell of fuel.
Anyone else have any suggestions or ideas?

OP
OP
NJ04HOE

NJ04HOE

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gas Smell & rough starts

It turned out to be the fuel pump. The pump itself was working fine but the fitting on top were rusted and leaking fuel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhrusso925