Gas leak.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Holt50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a gas leak coming from top off gas tank. Has anyone had this problem before . Maybe some ideas on where it is coming from or do I have to just drop the tank and go from there. (97gmc yukon 4x4 330,000 miles.)

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Have a gas leak coming from top off gas tank. Has anyone had this problem before . Maybe some ideas on where it is coming from or do I have to just drop the tank and go from there. (97gmc yukon 4x4 330,000 miles.)

If you're sure it's not running down the filler tube from up higher somewhere, then its most likely the line nipples rusting on the pump head. Get a new pump and drop that tank...

holt1850

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you're sure it's not running down the filler tube from up higher somewhere, then its most likely the line nipples rusting on the pump head. Get a new pump and drop that tank...
Ok thanx I'll check the filter line first. But if it is the filter line up high don't I still have to drop tank?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Ok thanx I'll check the filter line first. But if it is the filter line up high don't I still have to drop tank?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Maybe not. Take the spare down and look up there. You'll see two lines going up off the back of the tank. The big one is the fill line, the little one is a vent. If you notice it dripping while you fill it, the leak is up there somewhere (barring a hole in your tank somewhere else). If you haven't filled up recently, and you still smell /see it, look under there. If the passenger side of the tank is wet right after driving it's the pump.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019