Fuel smell outside vehicle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Derek C

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a '07 Tahoe. There is a strong gas smell coming from reat driver side of vehicle. Can't find any gas leaking anywhere. I've replaced the vent valve solenoid. I pulled the purge valve off and checked it to see if it was stuck open. It checked good. I also dropped the charcoal cannister and shook it around to see if there was any raw fuel in it and it didn't seem like it was. Any other ideas?

Chip18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe the fuel pressure regulator is bad?? Best course of action, would be to rent a "fuel pressure tester" and see what the actual fuel pressure is??

Yugo

Reaction score
When my Tahoe had the gas smell on driver side rear end of vehicle it ended up being a bad fuel pump. I have replaced the parts you mentioned beforehand.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
As stated - check for pressure with a manual gauge. More than likely its the pump. Theres a few write ups on here on how to replace it, but not knowing the history of the truck, or where its been, they can be a pain in the balls to remove. If you live in the rust belt, plan on new tank straps and be VERY careful removing lines because they will snap in a heartbeat. Lots of times the lock ring gets rusted to the pump too which can be a pain to remove.

Most likely thats your problem.

cbman18j

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had a very similar problem. I did the same things as you but mine turned out to be my fuel tank pressure sensor had come out of the top of the fuel pump. I didn't check there until one day while fueling I saw fuel dripping under the vehicle. I dropped the tank and the sensor was sitting off to the side, but I wouldn't drop the tank full of fuel.

QDaddy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
In the midst of replacing a corroded fuel pump. Crawl under it with a flashlight and a mirror and see if it is rusted. That's better than throwing parts at it.

Fink117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crawl under the truck where the fuel tank is to see if its wet on the side of the tank frame rail side. My Fuel pump rotted away and the only way I found it was by shoving my cellphone up the side of the tank and took a video of the dripping. 2007 suburban
2017-01-02 10.32.22.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n