Fuel pump nightmare. 2007 Yukon.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badmunky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so my nightmare started about 10 days ago.

The fuel pump housing rusted out and where the lines go in to the top of the pump assembly the return line started to leak bad. So I had to drop the tank and change the pump out.

And it all went south from there.

Every fuel line connection where the plastic line connects to a metal line the metal line had rusted so bad that you could not disconnect them any more.
So I have had to replace or repair several lines on the truck so far.

It took me 4 and a half hours to get the pump out of the tank. The retaining ring rusted up so bad it would not move. I had to cut it up to get it off. Then I had to clean up the tank as the metal tank insert was rusting as well.

I finally got the new pump installed in the tank with a new retaining ring and seal, and all but 1 fuel line is fixed.
I am still waiting on a repair kit for one of the lines.

This has with out a doubt been the longest, most annoying fuel pump change I have ever done! I changed the fuel pump in my WRX in under 30 min.
It took me 4 hours to get the tank out of the Yukon! (Tank dos not have to be removed on the WRX. Subaru was smart enough to put an access panel above the pump.)

If my part comes in I should have the Yukon running again tomorrow.

And then its going up for sale. I was planing to sell it before the pump rusted out any way. Time to get a newer truck that can tow 10k or better. Needs have changed and the Yukon no longer meets them.

Last edited:

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how did you drop the fuel tank by yerself or did you
dude what did you drive yer tahoe into the ocean dude i bet you were texting and u drove off the road right into the drink
i replaced the fuel pump on my 02 not to long ago and i didnt have any serious rust problems like that

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Same boat as you when my pump went out. It was a ginormous pain in the balls to get the pump out, all the metal lines broke, no matter how much lube was sprayed.

Mine took about an hour and a half but to me it seemed like an eternity. Had to use the air hammer to get the pump lock ring off, and even then it was a pain in the ass to break loose.

OP
OP
B

Badmunky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how did you drop the fuel tank by yerself or did you
dude what did you drive yer tahoe into the ocean dude i bet you were texting and u drove off the road right into the drink
i replaced the fuel pump on my 02 not to long ago and i didnt have any serious rust problems like that

Yes I dropped it by my self. No one would come help me. I guess I'm just that good.
I have no clue why it rusted so bad. I live in MI and they salt the roads like mad here. That's the only thing I can think of to explain it.
It would take me days to drive to an ocean man!
I bought it used, so no telling what the last owner may have done to it though.

Same boat as you when my pump went out. It was a ginormous pain in the balls to get the pump out, all the metal lines broke, no matter how much lube was sprayed.

Mine took about an hour and a half but to me it seemed like an eternity. Had to use the air hammer to get the pump lock ring off, and even then it was a pain in the ass to break loose.

I did not have access to air tools. So it took me longer. Oh and beer was involved. LOL I'm sure that did not speed things up.

The last fuel line repair kit I need was on back order. It will be here tomorrow. And it is going to rain all day. So by the time I have the parts and get this finished it will have taken over 2 weeks. Yeah that's a total fail.

Ill see if I can get a pic of the old pump for you. I did beat the hell out of it so it's a little smashed at this point. But you can still see how rusted it is.

Last edited:

Clean07Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you feel better now that you beat the shit out of your fuel pump? Lol. And two weeks? Holy chit, man.

OP
OP
B

Badmunky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you feel better now that you beat the shit out of your fuel pump? Lol. And two weeks? Holy chit, man.

Yes it made me feel better. LOL
And it is still not fixed. The repair kit I ordered still has not come in. I was told its still on back order. I ordered one from another store that should be here today or Monday. Then I can put the fuel tank back in and see if I have any leaks.

The Yukon has been on jack stands now for about 15 days!

Tho most of that has been do to waiting on parts. And some on it was do to not having the time to work on it. (Have this thing called a job. Not sure why I got one. They suck.)

I am hoping to have it finished soon. I found an 06 F350 4x4 4 door long bed diesel that's in great shape with less miles then my Yukon for 15k.

OP
OP
B

Badmunky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It runs!
And no leaks!

Would have been a lot easier with a second person tho.
Putting the tank back in by my self was a total PITA!

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, save your receipts and maybe someday you can file a claim with GM for reimbersement. I think it was the Trailblazer I owned several years back that had an extended warranty for the fuel pump module for the same problem you experienced. I believe GM covered that part later on for up to 10 years due to rust and resulting leaks in salt use areas.

2007YukonSLT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi. I am currently going through the SAME THING right now. 2007 Yukon has been in the garage on jack stands for 8 days now.

It all started with a "gas smell" report from my wife. After cycling the key on/off several times I found gas leaking from the top of the tank. I dropped the tank (by myself and yes it was a pita) The top of the pump looked like it was 100 years old! My 1985 K20 plow truck doesn't look this bad. The metal return line had a small pin hole right outside the pinch fitting.

Replaced pump module and reinstalled. Cycled key on/off and guess what? NEW leak! This time, on the feed line I found a pin hole at the gray plastic line retainer. I must have jiggled it just enough to knock a piece of rust off and the leak exposed itself.

Last night I started that repair and got the bad section of line cut out. All was good until I couldn't find my tube bender. So, I'm going to pick one up and hopefully finish it tonight.

Not even 10 years old and I'm fixing rusted out lines. Unbelievable! :)

IMG_20160317_242721589.jpg

IMG_20160317_245540150.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019