Fuel pump high pitch whine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JETDR77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello
i have a 01 yukon 5.3 V8 and so bought it with 2k miles on it in 01 currently have 76k miles since i had it i have changed about 2 fuel pump and i think the 3 rd is coming soon, when i start it there is a high pitch whine at all times since i have the truck if i leave the vehicle at idle for more than 10 mins the engine will stall out, but it will restart fine, there is no issue starting it first crank it rolls over...... i dont wanna be going down the road and it stalls out again (has happen before on the i95 in heavy traffic and a full tank) has anyone else have this problem and is there a solution

thanks in advance

any help or suggestion is greatly appreciated

mdtahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you replace the fuel filter? As the filter becomes clogged the pump has to work harder sometimes causing a loud whine.

rdtahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello
i have a 01 yukon 5.3 V8 and so bought it with 2k miles on it in 01 currently have 76k miles since i had it i have changed about 2 fuel pump and i think the 3 rd is coming soon, when i start it there is a high pitch whine at all times since i have the truck if i leave the vehicle at idle for more than 10 mins the engine will stall out, but it will restart fine, there is no issue starting it first crank it rolls over...... i dont wanna be going down the road and it stalls out again (has happen before on the i95 in heavy traffic and a full tank) has anyone else have this problem and is there a solution

thanks in advance

any help or suggestion is greatly appreciated

my '00 Tahoe LT 5.3L has had a fuel pump "whine" for about 6 or 7 years running. Dealer has always said it was "normal", just like the minor piston slap noise it's had on start up since just about new. Now at 9+ years with both and 104K miles.

It typically starts to whine when the tank gets to about 1/2 full, so I just keep it above that, and that's it.

I did put the GM fuel additive in though recently, and actually, that may have helped. It says it has some kind of polymeric coating it provides to fuel system parts, and may have helped a bit. It's pretty pricey though for a fuel system additive, and can only get it from the dealer or authorized GM distributor. Info on it follows. Good Luck.

GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS, Fuel Sending Unit Corrosion and Fuel System Deposits #05-00-89-078 - (Nov 9, 2005)

2006 and Prior All GM Cars and Trucks

2003-2006 HUMMER H2

2006 HUMMER H3

2006 and Prior Saturn (Canada Only)

2005-2006 Saab 9-7X

GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS
GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS, P/N 88861011 (for U.S. ACDelco�, use 88861013) (in Canada, 88861012), is now available.

Added Benefits and Uses
The PLUS portion of GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS is the addition of a filmer additive that, when used regularly, can protect fuel system sending units from the corrosive effects of certain sulfur contaminants found in some of today's gasoline.

Sulfur contamination can disrupt electrical continuity of certain fuel sending units and lead to erratic or false fuel gauge readings. With scheduled usage, GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS protects against the effects of harmful sulfurs in gasoline.

You Get Four Benefits
One bottle of GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS added to the fuel tank at each oil change:

� Cleans -- Sulfur corrosion from fuel gauge sending units.
� Prevents -- Harmful sulfur components from attacking sensitive fuel system electronics.
� Protects -- By coating metallic surfaces of the fuel system.
� Removes -- Engine deposits left from use of poor quality fuels.

GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS will replace the original GM Fuel System Treatment, P/N 12345104 (in Canada, 89020804). The original formula may still be available for a limited time, and provides the excellent Fuel System Cleaning aspects of the new product without the filmer.

Parts Information
Part Number
Description

88861011 (for U.S. ACDelco, use 88861013)

(in Canada, 88861012)

GM PARTS DIRECT SITE -
GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS
CATEGORY: Vehicle Care
PACK QTY: 6
CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $25.15
OUR PRICE: $14.90

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member