Fuel pump access door 2001 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks its easier to just drop the tank. 2 Straps removed and a floor jack to lower the tank, thats all you need. Now you have a path for fuel & exhaust vapors, elements, and rust to occur. Not to mention, in my opinion, it looks hacked together.

As for your F-350, why not take the bed bolts out and lift the bed backwards?

Cutting a non-forgiving hole in your floorboard would really take more time than its worth. Just my .02

redemn93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dropping the tank really isnt that bad. especially if you have someone helping to give a hand holding this or that. the worst part is getting the lines off. even then it isnt horrible. i did my pump is 3-4 hours which included beer time and running around for parts.

OP
OP
J

Jdeshler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe to specially talented others dropping the tank is easier, but not for this white boy.. Iv pulled em from el caminos, my f350, 70's f150's, broncos, you name it.. It took me so long because there wasn't a write up on this.. It should take the average metabo Jo an hour reading this along the job. And realistically, If you smell exhaust fix you're muffler, if you smell gas, fix you're leak or youll REALLY have a problem lol. If it looks hack invisibly under the carpet so be it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jdeshler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Follow up.. Everything is running perfect! Not to rub it in but I will say that I have NOT sealed the hole yet.. There is NO trace of 'gasoline or exhaust' smells!! Yes I will seal the hole this week but for the sake of proving myself right about it not being dangerous I have left it just pushed back into place for 2 weeks with a 1/4" gap all the way around.. This is 100% SAFE if you take you're time and do it right..

billwagner70

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
well i did my fuel pump on my 99 tahoe and i dropped the tank. it was a pain in the a!! and took about 5 hours total! today i was gonna do the same thing on my 2001 tahoe to replace the fuel sending unit. i really didnt want to drop the tank so i googled trap door and found this post! let me tell you this is soooooo much easier. i just finished after following the directions from this post and it took me a hour and a half from start to finish. it prob would have only taken me 45 mins if it wasnt for my lock ring being completely rusted to the tank! thanks for posting this and i almost cant wait for my fuel pump to go out on me so i can replace it. with the door already cut it would litterally take me 20 mins. thanks again!

OP
OP
J

Jdeshler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome bill! I'm glad it helped you out, mines still kicking strong:cheers:

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have a problem cutting a hole in the floor, dumb ass GM should have given as an access anyhow. They use to. Being physically challenged, I would rather cut a hole then try to do it on my back, my days of lifting are but over.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
put it this way when i changed out my fuel pump i dropped the tank and replaced it and cleaned everything up
when i replaced an x girlfriends fuel pump in her old late 90s fullsize blazer i cut a whole in the floor and did lickity split

OP
OP
J

Jdeshler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put a pump in dads 01 Yukon.. it took all of 45 minutes.. 20140914_121551_zpskzkrf8ln.jpg[/URL

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's mine on my Camaro:

Trapdoor2.jpg

Here's how its resealed. The cut was only made on 3 sides and the panel was peeled back. Then it was put back in place, and ac tape was used to seal it. To keep it from popping back up two small holes were drilled into good metal, and two small scrap pieces of sheet metal were riveted to the body. The rivets allow the scrap metal to pivot around and be placed over the cut panel so it can't pop up. They can be swiveled away when you want to open it again.

Trapdoor1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyc2011Denali