Front end groan, w/ new hub assembly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could it be differential bearing?

I have little to no experience with differentials. I'm wondering what you guys think? I'm hearing a groan that is quite similar to that of bad front bearing/hub assembly. However I just put a brand new part on. It's possible it could be bad I suppose.

Could my differential have a bad bearing and be the culprit for the groaning sound????

Tell me more!! Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I understand the front diffs are quite prone to failure on our vehicles. I'm looking at my 05 right now trying to determine exactly what my problem is. I'm not getting a groan that I can tell (exhaust may be masking the sound) but I do have stuttering/shuddering under light throttle like something is binding in the driveline (I'm AWD and @ 90K miles). I don't hear about too many problems with the transfer case but it seems that quite a few people have issues with the front differential.

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I jacked it up.

Rotated wheel. What do you know, it's the my brand new wheel bearing.

You didn't try the cheap eBay bearings did you? I made that mistake on two vehicles and neither vehicle lasted 10,000 miles on those bargain bearings.

I figure when a bearing normally cost about $200 each, getting two for $90 is getting what you paid for and getting to do the job twice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevinsbritton