front end binding in AWD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tacky

Reaction score
couldn't find if this question has been asked before, so here goes.

i have a 2001 tahoe 5.3 with the pushbutton AWD transfer case (don't know exact RPO code), 260k miles, runs pretty well. typically, i just leave it in 2hi for normal driving. when it's raining, i sometimes will put it in auto-AWD because the roads in atlanta don't have the best drainage.

when driving at normal speeds in AWD, i don't notice that anything is different. during very low speed, high turn maneuvers (like backing out of a parking space), it feels like my front wheels are binding, almost like they were hooked to a locked diff. it seems to do it turning both ways, and when going in either forward or reverse.

i don't know the condition of the front diff fluid or the transfer case fluid, but i wouldn't guess either of them were very clean. those are both on the "round tuit" list.

i am wondering if this is a symptom of something wrong? it's been awhile since i've read up on how everything is hooked up when in auto-AWD, but i thought it was supposed to essentially be off until it sensed a large spin difference between the front and back wheels. are slow speed, very tight turns enough to cause the t-case to engage? or does this mean that something is essentially turned on all the time? i only put it auto in the rain and i don't ever take it off road, so i'm not worred about more damage or a lack of performance. i haven't tested if it acts the same way in 4hi/4lo. i remember when i drove subarus that running slow speed figure 8's was a good diagnostic test for the transfer case.

i'm open for any knowledge or suggestions.

Replacing the transfer case fluid may reduce it, but this is pretty normal for a 2001

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably needs to be change but the transfer case fluid will have no effect to noise during cornering. All in the differentials.

ezstriper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in the auto setting the ft drive is engaged all the time, only the transfer case does not send power to the front until rear slipage is detected

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879