Front Door Speakers Quit but were just replaced?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

schandler88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
About 2 or 3 months ago my drivers door speaker finally died (passenger has been dead for years) so I replaced them both with a set of Rockford Fosgate 6.5's. Amazing what a set of speakers can do! I had no idea how bad the factory ones were!

Anyway, last week I was listening to the radio and it got WAY quieter and all tin can sounding. Played with the radio and sent all the audio to the back and it sounded fine (out of only the back speakers obviously). Moved the fade back up front and the only thing working is the tweeters in the doors. The 6.5's were silent.

Clearly something happened to the amp or the radio, but how do I tell which?

Truck is a 2001 Yukon SLT
100% Stock @ 345k miles.
Non Bose radio, with On-Star, and Factory Sub.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know!

Thanks guys, if anyone can point me in the right direction its the people on this forum!

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the stock amp output for the front speakers crapped out, did you make sure to match the ohms on the speakers to the amp output?

OP
OP
S

schandler88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, I did.

That is exactly what I was thinking, but I read on another forum that the 6.5s and tweeters were the same output. That didn't make sense to me so I thought I would ask.

What's the best option at this point?
Just replace the factory amp with a junkyard unit?

Probably a lot of work to do anything else right?

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is the same signal from the amp. You didn't say if you put in component or coaxial speakers. If coax then the woofer is blown or the tinsel leads on the woofer part broke. If component then you may have some wires messed up between the external crossover and the woofer, or again the woofer is blown.

Usually aftermarket speakers need a high pass filter on them or they are pretty easy to blown. If you had it cranked way up without the bass turned down then I'm betting you blew the 6.5 woofers

OP
OP
S

schandler88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
They are coaxial. I'll pull the door panels and see if anything looks off.

I don't listen to music loudly, mostly just talk shows on my way in to work and whatever is on a classic rock station on my way home.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

schandler88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did not see anything un hooked or anything "bad" taking the door panels off.

I guess I will have to pull a speaker and move it to the back to test it? I hate ripping these door panels off....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waiteben84

Latest posts