Four 8" subs & amp?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Monzter Mike

Reaction score
Ok, I have asked this on other forums with no response, so thought I'd try here too. I'm planning on going with four 8" Kicker Comp Series subs in my truck. Now what set up is best for this, a Pioneer GM-6500F 4 channel amp bridged putting out 180 watts x 2 channels at 4 ohms running two pairs of 8 ohm 8" Comp Series subs wired in parallel so they are at 4 ohms? Or a Pioneer GM-5500T 2 channel amp that puts out 190 watts x 2 channels at 2 ohms with two pairs of 4 ohm 8" Comp Series subs wired in parallel so they are at 2 ohms? Going with the 2 channel amp at 2 ohms & 8 ohm subs would be cheaper, but I've never ran an amp at 2 ohms so I'm concerned about heat & longevity of the amp.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Monzter Mike

Monzter Mike

Reaction score
So if I went with four 8 ohm subs in parallel that would give me 2 ohms. The Kenwood amp is rated at 500 watts at 2 ohms, would that be too much for the comp subs? Is the Pioneer GM-D8601 amp any good? It's also 500 watts at 2 ohms 1 channel. I'm asking because all of the rest of the system is gonna be Pioneer with the exception of the subs, so I'd like to keep it as much as possible Pioneer.

_Dylan_

STAY FROSTY
Reaction score
you can turn the gain down to match the subs power rating. It won't run as hot if it's not turned all the way up as well being a slightly bigger amp than necessary.

If you don't want kenwood, I would get a similar Pioneer amp. Class D!

groundscr8pr

flaccid member
Reaction score
why not a kicker amp??? or rockford or jl?? you will get a much better quality amp then either the pioneer or kenwood. 4 8 ohm subs and a good quality mono block amp will be a perfect combo.

OP
OP
Monzter Mike

Monzter Mike

Reaction score
I'm going to go with the Pioneer GM-D8601 class D mono block amp, it has a remote bass level control. I'm also thinking about running it at 800 watts X 1 Ohm with four single voice coil 4 Ohm 8" Kicker Comps S subs that will handle more power than the regular Comps since it has the remote bass level control.

Last edited:

Big Buttons

The SS Burb
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you want that low bass huh?

I have had zero problems with running Fosgate... I've had all their speakers with higher than rated power for over 3 yrs with zero problems.

But if dead set on on pioneer then go with a class D. With 4 subs I'd run two amps two subs on each.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo