Exhaust Headers Confusion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Claytonn

Reaction score
Hello guys!, i'll just jump straight into it. Im a little confused and far from Mechanical savvy with cars, though im honestly still learning.

Im in the process of restoring a 2006 Yukon Denali and i would like to know a little bit about engines and Headers recommendations. The current engine is old and dying & gone past 210,000 miles. Hence i'm looking to replace it with a remanufactured engine. Im looking into purchasing an LQ4 engine the same as the one im using.

With that said. i would like to know what do you guys recommend on some good performance headers. I was looking into Kooks, but i cant understand its dimensions with all these terms "shorty's", Long tubes, y pipes and what not. whats good or helpful? Pacesetter's? JBA'S?, BBK's, Hookers? and any other that im missing out on that could make this entire fitting issue so much easier.

If i go with long tubes, is it possible to fit it into the pipes that run to the Cats? or can somebody break it down for me and advice me what should i get for easy installation flawless fitment. Theres so many good headers out there but ive no clue what to pick up and install.

Also i would like to purchase a Corsa Cat back. is this all possible to fit together?
im so confused cause ive no idea what and how things will fit or whats the process like. Im not sure if the garage i take my car to will do any cutting on pipes or machinery work apart from just overhauling the engine and fitting things and dressing it up.

I'd really appreciate it, Sorry for the many questions. Thank you guys honestly for helping my noobass out!.

TXBowtieGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shorty headers gives you better performance in the low to medium rpms and long tubes are better from mid to high rpms so it depends on where you want the performance. With that said if you are 4x4 you might have fitment issues with the long Tube headers. I had a 95 Z71 pickup with a 5.7 Tbi and ran Flow Tech shortys and loved them. Also Shortys usually will be made to fit stock exaust. In any case think of your motor as a pump. Increase the flow out and you would also need a good high flow air intake as well. Don't do one without the other or you won't get the maximum benefit of forking out that cash. Get online and research. Hope that helps a little.

OP
OP
Claytonn

Claytonn

Reaction score
Oh wonderful thank you so much!
Any recommendations of what Shorty's to go for!. And yes I'll purchase a high flow filter with it as well

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate to point it out but your info is backwards. Long tube headers will produce more torque and horsepower in the lower rpm range than shorties but as you can see in this dyno test on a 5.3 tahoe the numbers are not a huge difference but long tubes win but are more difficult to install because you need a new y pipe where the shorties will bolt right in place of the stock manifolds using the stock y pipe.

They didn`t mention any tuning when running the headers but i`m sure with a good tune the numbers will increase a bit.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/engine/129-0910-gibson-short-vs-stainless-long-headers/

TXBowtieGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at the numbers the long Tube is better from bottom to top. However comparing the low rpm gains vs the high rpm gains the difference is greater on the higher rpm and not a big difference (6hp) at the low rpms range. Now. If you look at the pics of the test Tahoe, they only change the exhaust. No CAI or mention of a cam. There needs to be a dyno done with comparison of all 3 mods. Add that with ease of installation and cost, I'm still gonna go with the shortys. But you have to atleast install a CAI at the very least. I would also recommend a cam and tune to get your money's worth.

TXBowtieGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate to point it out but your info is backwards. Long tube headers will produce more torque and horsepower in the lower rpm range than shorties but as you can see in this dyno test on a 5.3 tahoe the numbers are not a huge difference but long tubes win but are more difficult to install because you need a new y pipe where the shorties will bolt right in place of the stock manifolds using the stock y pipe.

They didn`t mention any tuning when running the headers but i`m sure with a good tune the numbers will increase a bit.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/engine/129-0910-gibson-short-vs-stainless-long-headers/

My apologies, my wording got crossed from my brain to my thumb. The long tubes are better all around but the increase over the shortys is greater at higher RPMs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RanchoTexas