Epic Mexico Eclipse Road Trip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rzabel

Reaction score
Just returned from a 6 week road trip pulling a 1948 Spartan Manor travel trailer with my 2003 Yukon XL with 219k miles (started with 214k). We started in Oregon and watched the total eclipse in Durango, Mexico. The drive from Mazatlan to Durango on the "Espinazo del Diablo" (Devil's Backbone) over the Sierra Madre Mountains crossing the Baluarte Bridge was one of the most amazing drives I've ever been on, and I've been on a few. On the return to Oregon we were treated to a freak spring blizzard at Hart Mountain Hot Springs. Before the trip I added new tires and wheels, bumpers and winch and rear air bags. All performed perfectly. I even had the opportunity to winch out a 37k lb Class A motorhome stuck in the sand. I had a slight vapor lock issue after pulling the mountains to over 9000 feet in scorching heat and I'm hearing a little noise from a lifter now, but other than that the Yukon performed amazingly well. I did need to have some welding done on the trailer suspension (those roads are rough!). Here are some photos:

IMG_5211.JPEGIMG_0874.JPGIMG_4921.JPEGIMG_1100.JPGdfaead7a-3d17-4dde-a571-57f6b971b5f2.jpg

OP
OP
rzabel

rzabel

Reaction score
EPIC!! That sounds freaking awesome. How was the boarder crossing, insurance, etc traveling how you did?
No issues with the border crossings, just do some homework about what you can and can't bring going both directions. I've used Sanborn for Mexican auto insurance for years and they make it really easy to sign up again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yusefs257

Latest posts