Engine ticking 3 days after oil change. Told I need a new engine.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lutz519

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Okay, so I have a 2010 Yukon Denali 6.2L motor. I have 97,*** miles on the car. Has always ran like a top and have never had any issues. I got my oil changed on 10/28, (by the same people that have always changed and have done work with vehicles in our family for over 20 years, so I like to think I trust them). On 11/1/16, coming home from work the engine started ticking and lights on my dash started lighting up. For example, check engine light flashed for a few seconds and then went off, service stabilitrak came on my dash, and the traction control light was lit up. I turned the fan off and tried to listen to where it was coming from, a few miles down the road the lights stopped and so did the ticking. Came home, parked it, shut it off, turned it back on... no tick. The next day I drove it, no ticking. On 11/3/16 I went to work had only drove about 10 miles and it started ticking again, louder than before and this time it never stopped. It was worse when I pushed on the accelerator. I had the GMC dealership in my town pick it up from my work to get it checked out. They called me later and said the lifters were what was making the noise, and I needed a new engine. Blown away, my response was what is the problem...I was told my lifters had worn down the cam bearings. Not knowing anything about motors, I asked, ok, can the cam bearings be replaced and his response was "Yea, with a new motor". My question is, is this really the only thing that can be done? I don't believe they ever got into the motor, I think it was all diagnostic. They quoted me $8,100 in parts and labor for the new motor. The cheapest crate motor I can find, with labor comes to a little over $7,000. I just can't believe at 97,*** on a 6 year old vehicle that I would need to put in a new motor and feel like there has to be some other option. There is oil in the engine. It looks clean. What are my options for getting the noise to stop? I haven't been driving it since I was told it needed a new motor. I don't have another vehicle and am having to borrow one from a family member to drive so I need to get something figured out soon. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Last edited:

M3kanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When mine did something similar it was the vram (valley cover) but I had smoke when ever I let off of the throttle. Could also be failed lifters as that is also a common problem.

For them to only have it for a short time and say you have bad cam bearings is odd. But also cam bearings can be changed our. Now if he said the cam bearing journals were out of round, but even that would be hard to believe with what little time you said it was ticking.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might be silly but have you tried changing the oil and filter again?

OP
OP
L

Lutz519

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Might be silly but have you tried changing the oil and filter again?

We plan on doing that in the next couple days. Not sure if it will help but might as well start with the simplest things first!

undy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run, don't walk away from that dealer! Bad lifters DO NOT wear cam bearings. They wear cam lobes. Cams, lifters and cam bearings are all replaceable items, not requiring engine replacement. All of these items can be replaced (if they are even bad) with the engine in the vehicle.

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would add the risolene engine flush another that another member here did with vood results. That freed his stuck lifter. Let it run as per directions and then drop the oil. Add 5 quarts of whatever synthetic you use and 1 quart of the lucas oil stabalizer. You can get the synthtic one or regular wont make much difference at this point and then a good oil filter like a mobile one. Start there its roughly 60 bucks. Make sure your ground wire is tight and dosent have any corrosion on it also.

I tried mobile 1 high mileage for the first time a short time ago and my motor sounded like it had a pack of ball bearings loose in it. I quickly dropped that oil and picked something else and it made a noticeable difference.

mizzouguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"yeah, with a new motor" what a JOKE!!!
like @undy said, run lol.
I'd do an oil change again with the rislone and see if it helps.
Then if not take it to an engine shop and see what they think. Someone who has specifically dealt with these newer gm lifters.

Reaction score
My Tahoe had a bad ticking noise for a while. Reason is, the oil pressure was getting too low, due to the oring on the oil catch pipe in the oil pan. You don't need a new engine. Keep an eye on your oil pressure and if it drops under 20 psi, there's a place to start. Try adding an engine cleaner to your oil, let it run for 5 min, drain, and add new oil and filter. Sometimes new oil filters can cause oil pressure problems. Lifters can be replaced, but expensive. Not new engine expensive, but a hell of a lot cheaper than a new engine. Less than $3000.

Leevon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shop owner here...sorry about the very bad situation. Not sure where you are at one week later but here are a few things to consider:

It's always bad form to just drop a bomb on a customer and not discuss the how/why and if. Get your truck from that dealer, take it back over to your shop. There is no easy way to know that a lifter is collapsed or a cam lobe is wiped...it can be diagnosed but I bet they didn't spend the time. Get outta there!

Several things can go wrong here and cause a lifter noise or failure. Your shop should want to change the oil filter first just to make sure because they can be bad and cause restrictions and oil starvation. If they have the factory diagnostic equipment, they will be able to do some troubleshooting on the cylinder de-activation system. Basically there is an oiling system called the VLOM that activates and de-activates the lifters on cylinder #1,7,4,6 using a computer signal and oil pressure. There is a screen under the oil pressure sensor that can get plugged. There are two solenoids in the VLOM assembly, either of which can fail. Then of course the lifters themselves can fail. All of this needs to be explored, discussed and priced before dropping the bomb of an engine on the customer. The dealer does the VLOM and lifter work all the time. If your shop is capable, they probably have too.

Let us know where you're at with this please!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jmily8474