Engine swap, 2008 5.3L into a 2000 GMC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mackpro68

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My buddy texted me today and his 2000 GMC PU engine finally bit the dust (oil pressure has been dropping for months). Its his work truck (heavy construction) and looks good but has been put through hell. Due to lack of $$$ ( new house and new baby) he wants to replace the engine instead of replacing truck with a 3/4 or 1 ton. He found a deal on a 2008 5.3L. Will this work, I asumme it will bolt in easy but wondered about the things you cant see like compression ratios, injectors and electronics. What do yall think??

bkboatnsleds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think so - I took a 6.0 from a 04 into my 03 with a 5.3, as long as its the same generation motor - should be same deal.

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be ideal to keep your intake & just swap in the longblock. If there are any sensor differences or anything on the top end using your intake will insure no major harness bugs.

Cameron

Jay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt it will be that simple. The 2007 and newer engines use a 58X reluctor wheel while the older engines used a 24X. The reluctor wheel is installed on the crankshaft, just behind the rear main. The crankshaft will have to be dropped to change this wheel out.

There may be something aftermarket that will convert the 58X resolution down to the 24X but I haven't looked for one. I'd guess such a thing would be expensive though.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will the harness and other computer related items come with the 5.3 L out or the 2008? If you can get all that stuff and swap it over too I'd think that it'd make the job a bit easier as well.

Jay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
07 and newer use a CAN bus electronics. You'd have to swap EVERYTHING out (PCM included... just drop in the entire powertrain if you're going this route).

OP
OP
M

mackpro68

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I will tell him to look for a engine no newer than 2006.

andrew383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only thing's you need to put a gen IV motor in place a a gen III is the 58x to 24x harness,knock sensor harness..The gen IV motors moved the knocked sensors to the side of the block...

Lingenfelter sells all the harness's required to do the swap.. :)