Engine sounds like it will explode on startup after sitting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scharper

Reaction score
2003 Tahoe LT 5.3 4x4 230k miles. No CEL

If if it sits for several days, when I start it, it sounds like there was extra fuel in the cylinders or something because when it fires it sounds like an explosion of really high RPMs that first 1/2 second or so but then it runs normal. The longer it sits the worse it is. 5-6 or more days and it's really strong and feels like something will blow apart. I'm afraid what would happen if it sat for two weeks or more and I tried to start it.

It doesn't take any longer to start than usual. The cases I've read about are usually that the longer it sits the harder it is to start. This is fairly recent too, within the past few months and I've had the truck a year and a half.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003 Tahoe LT 5.3 4x4 230k miles. No CEL

If if it sits for several days, when I start it, it sounds like there was extra fuel in the cylinders or something because when it fires it sounds like an explosion of really high RPMs that first 1/2 second or so but then it runs normal. The longer it sits the worse it is. 5-6 or more days and it's really strong and feels like something will blow apart. I'm afraid what would happen if it sat for two weeks or more and I tried to start it.

It doesn't take any longer to start than usual. The cases I've read about are usually that the longer it sits the harder it is to start. This is fairly recent too, within the past few months and I've had the truck a year and a half.
Cant get a mental video of symptoms you describe. Can you post a vid with audio?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The explosion sounds like it is fuel related but most fuel leakage would evaporate after that much time sitting and bleeding off. Would also help to know where the noise is coming from. Under the hood, under the vehicle in the exhaust system....etc. A noisy video would be good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheTahoe