Engine Oil Cooler Retrofit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2007YukonXL

Reaction score
My 2007 GMC Yukon does not have an engine oil cooler and the radiator does not have the oil cooler fittings (it only has transmission oil cooler fittings).

Has anyone installed an engine oil cooler in a non-engine oil cooler car? The easiest way to do this would be to buy a new radiator with the engine oil cooler fittings and the factory engine oil cooler lines (and I might do that) or if there is a kit available with the oil cooler and lines pre-made I might go that route.

Any suggestions, advice, pictures, or well wishing would be appreciated!!!

THANKS

Last edited:

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I’ll suggest to use the OEM parts. Or at least use braided stainless if you go aftermarket.

I had an unfortunate experience with an aftermarket remote oil filter once. Hose let go and drained all my engine oil out on the road.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oem parts will do it, you just need the radiator, the 2 oil lines and the adapter that goes above the oil filter, if you look at the area above the oil filter there will be a block-off plate there in place of the oil cooler line adapter. should be a wide diamond shaped plate with 2 bolts.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2007 GMC Yukon does not have an engine oil cooler and the radiator does not have the oil cooler fittings (it only has transmission oil cooler fittings).

Has anyone installed an engine oil cooler in a non-engine oil cooler car? The easiest way to do this would be to buy a new radiator with the engine oil cooler fittings and the factory engine oil cooler lines (and I might do that) or if there is a kit available with the oil cooler and lines pre-made I might go that route.

Any suggestions, advice, pictures, or well wishing would be appreciated!!!

THANKS

I'll be doing this at my next oil change. I replaced my radiator a few months ago and I got one that had the built-in oil cooler. I bought an OEM oil cooler hose assembly (GM Genuine AC Delco #20828695) to have on standby and just left the plugs in the oil cooler on the rad for now. The rad I got is Denso #221-9514. It has a 5/16" thicker core than the original and trans oil and engine oil coolers. Got both from Rock Auto.

If you don't want to replace your rad, you could get an aftermarket external cooler and mount it in front of the radiator. Get the AC Delco hose assembly and use hose and hose clamps to connect the aftermarket cooler to those lines. I'd double or triple up on the hose clamps.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
My truck didn't come with the EOC from the factory either.

I ended up adding an aftermarket stacked plate style cooler and a dual remote mount oil filter housing with oversized filters. I had custom hydraulic lines made to plumb everything together.

rps20210331_232757_921.jpg

rps20210331_232908_452.jpg

Filters are mounted to the inside of the passenger frame rail behind the front bumper and infront of the crossmember.

rps20210331_232947_360.jpg

Cooler is mounted in front of A/C condenser.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA