Engine light came on after Oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

farhanm

Reaction score
hi

I just got done changing oil on my 2009 Yukon XL today. it has about 114K miles on it. It had semi-synthetic oil from a previous oil change done around 4000 miles ago.

I wanted to use Mobil 1 Full synthetic oil this time, so decided to try the oil change myself. here is the product i used

Mobil 1 Extended Performance 15000 miles 5W-30.
Mobil 1 Oil

Filter : Mobil 1 113-A

everything went smooth. with the draining and replacing the filter. no mess.

however, after i am done with the whole process. I turned the truck on to let it run for a bit. as soon as i turned it on, i could hear some extra noise, like a air gushing out sound. soon afterwards the check engine light turned on.

I am not sure what is the cause of the issue right now. have turned the car off now. Maybe the oil is getting too hot?

not sure what to do next.

Thanks
==
Farhan

OP
OP
F

farhanm

Reaction score
could be something similar. had a catch can installed. had the drain valve on the catch can all the way open. that was causing air to leak through. Took it to an autozone to get the code checked aswell. it read oil pump. I am assuming it was related to the catch can drain not tightened properly. the guy at the autozon place said, itll need some running time on the car for that code to go away.

hopefully thats what it was.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What code was it? I've never heard of an "oil pump" code. The catch can being left open will cause a vacuum leak which will throw a code, but it won't be any sort of oiling system code.

OP
OP
F

farhanm

Reaction score
The codes are P0171 System too lean Bank 1

And P0174 system too lean bank 2

I had autozone reset them. And have been driving around for 40 mins and haven't seen the codes come back up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please tell me you just misunderstood the guy at Autozone and he didn't actually tell you that those codes were related to the oil pump.

Those codes say that the exhaust was too lean, meaning the fuel-to-air ratio that the engine was burning had too much air per given amount of fuel (or not enough fuel for a given amount of air). This was likely caused by that vacuum leak from the catch can being open. Sounds like it's all good now, though. No harm was done.

OP
OP
F

farhanm

Reaction score
Please tell me you just misunderstood the guy at Autozone and he didn't actually tell you that those codes were related to the oil pump.

Those codes say that the exhaust was too lean, meaning the fuel-to-air ratio that the engine was burning had too much air per given amount of fuel (or not enough fuel for a given amount of air). This was likely caused by that vacuum leak from the catch can being open. Sounds like it's all good now, though. No harm was done.

Yes I misunderstood the code. Cuz right when he was checking the codes I had discovered the catch can drain issue.

So far everything looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Purolator