Enclosure without losing space

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd like to find a setup that holds a minimum of a single 10" or possibly a 12" subwoofer without losing cargo space. I know MTX audio discountinued a neat stealth box that went on the driver side in the cargo area but I can't seem to find anything else.

I have a single JL 12"TW3 in a slim box in my other truck and it produces plenty of bass for me. I'm a huge JL fan and if I have a choice I will likely stick with them but if another company makes a complete bolt in setup I don't mind trying something new. Plus if I don't like it I can rip the sub out for a JL.

I absolutely cannot lose any cargo or passenger space and I would like it to look as factory as possible. My truck never came with the Bose system but if finding the brackets to convert it and putting a nice 8" sub is an option I would consider that as well.

Lets see what some of you guys have come up with!

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This will be a great project for you. I'm not a fan of hidden subs, if they are of a pancake frame design or smaller than 10", so I cannot offer you anything, based upon my experiences. I am a great JL fan, as well, although, I went with an AudioMobile sub, a US-made sub designed specifically for small, sealed enclosures.

That said, I believe that there are folks on this Forum who have met that challenge, and they will chime in with their experiences and perspectives.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i believe there is another fairly recent thread where this was asked about. i believe if you go to crutchfield.com and look under vehicle specific it might be there. theres a center console subwoofer setup that was mentioned earlier today or yesterday.

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This will be a great project for you. I'm not a fan of hidden subs, if they are of a pancake frame design or smaller than 10", so I cannot offer you anything, based upon my experiences. I am a great JL fan, as well, although, I went with an AudioMobile sub, a US-made sub designed specifically for small, sealed enclosures.

That said, I believe that there are folks on this Forum who have met that challenge, and they will chime in with their experiences and perspectives.

I don't need a ton I guess, I end up turning the one in my silverado down all the time so I'm actually thinking a JL8W3 in the factory bose box may work for now.

i believe there is another fairly recent thread where this was asked about. i believe if you go to crutchfield.com and look under vehicle specific it might be there. theres a center console subwoofer setup that was mentioned earlier today or yesterday.

I used the search bar I swear! I have seen the console box but I have the poor mans split bench in the front and actually prefer it over the full center console so that one won't work for me.

Gonna get some measurements of the factory bose box and see if I can either adapt in a slim 10" or just throw a JL8W3 in and call it a day. I have an amp, wiring kit and head unit ready to go from previous projects.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't need a ton I guess, I end up turning the one in my silverado down all the time so I'm actually thinking a JL8W3 in the factory bose box may work for now.

I used the search bar I swear! I have seen the console box but I have the poor mans split bench in the front and actually prefer it over the full center console so that one won't work for me.

Gonna get some measurements of the factory bose box and see if I can either adapt in a slim 10" or just throw a JL8W3 in and call it a day. I have an amp, wiring kit and head unit ready to go from previous projects.
lol in the thread the op wasn't originally asking for sub boxes he added that later. just commenting that it was also mentioned recently and someone else pointed to crutchfield.com.

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol in the thread the op wasn't originally asking for sub boxes he added that later. just commenting that it was also mentioned recently and someone else pointed to crutchfield.com.

I welcome any insight or places to look. Crutch field is my go to anytime I need any audio they make it so easy and usually beat amazons prices which is a rare accomplishment. Plus I don't have to scratch my head to find the right install adapters and stuff.

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heres another option I'm leaning towards the most right now. I've never built a sub box before but I'm a pretty well versed carpenter so it cant be too difficult. I like this option because the only thing I would need to buy is some 3/4MDF board and a 10" sub I have everything else. Might take measurements tonight and see how much volume I could get away with. If I can get a little over .5sqft I can fit a full sized JL10"W3 which would be perfect for me.
sub box 2.jpg sub box 3.jpg sub box.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyc2011Denali