Electrical Upgrades on 2003 Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CJ Rodarme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2003 Yukon with a full sound system. Currently I have a pioneer head unit, a Rockville 5 channel amp, 6.5 Kenwood 3-ways in the doors and a Sundown SA-12 in a custom box. Its safe to say I really messed up by not investing in a good amp because the system really falls flat because of the amp. I get a ton of distortion if my volume is too high with my sub, yet the amp isn't even rated to put out as much wattage as my sub can handle. Ive seen videos of people running SA's with 1000 watts rms just fine, but my amp is rated to put out a measly 700 (I don't run bass boost or any EQ). All that being said I am very skeptical about what my amp is actually putting out, being that it was only $120. I want to upgrade to audiopipe amps, a 4 channel and a class D mono. The mono amp that I want to run puts out 2000 watts rms at 1 ohm, and the 4 channel 100x4 at 4 ohm. The only electrical upgrade I have is a 145 amp Delphi alternator. I was planning on getting a 2600 amp XS battery and running all 1/0 OFC power wire. Does this seem right to run roughly 2400 watts rms or do I need to do more than that.

OP
OP
CJ Rodarme

CJ Rodarme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh I forgot to add that I want to upgrade to running 2 SA-12's at 2000 watts rms, not 1 SA at 2k lol

OB 04Denali

Reaction score
Whats up buddy!
Well bud how much room do you have? Are you taking up the trunk? I have amps under my 2nd row seats but for 3 amps or 2 good size ones your not fitting them under there unless your spending money on good compact ones.

1. if your going that high. id definitely upgrade to 1/0 and big 3 upgrade for sure and go from there.
for amps for those subs u need a quality amp. get quality stuff so you dont have to get more of other crap ya know.
Id get 1 good amp for that sub and go from there, might be enough for you. that sub is no joke. IF you want more. get another amp for the 2nd sub. Id go for an NVX JAD1200.1. blast that sub with good juice and go from there. save up get some good stuff and call it a day man. any questiong PM me

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
0 gauge should be fine, I would upgrade the alternator you can get a 300amp off Ebay for around $200, I run a 5000w orion and 2 12w3's I don't get any flickering lights or dimming but I also am running 2 AGM battery's.
I've had this one in for a year no problems
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-300-Am...e-Silverado-/192607817741?hash=item2cd852100d

**that alternator is a 2 wire, but the same seller should have one for the nbs for about the same price

DirtyStatus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2003 Yukon with a full sound system. Currently I have a pioneer head unit, a Rockville 5 channel amp, 6.5 Kenwood 3-ways in the doors and a Sundown SA-12 in a custom box. Its safe to say I really messed up by not investing in a good amp because the system really falls flat because of the amp. I get a ton of distortion if my volume is too high with my sub, yet the amp isn't even rated to put out as much wattage as my sub can handle. Ive seen videos of people running SA's with 1000 watts rms just fine, but my amp is rated to put out a measly 700 (I don't run bass boost or any EQ). All that being said I am very skeptical about what my amp is actually putting out, being that it was only $120. I want to upgrade to audiopipe amps, a 4 channel and a class D mono. The mono amp that I want to run puts out 2000 watts rms at 1 ohm, and the 4 channel 100x4 at 4 ohm. The only electrical upgrade I have is a 145 amp Delphi alternator. I was planning on getting a 2600 amp XS battery and running all 1/0 OFC power wire. Does this seem right to run roughly 2400 watts rms or do I need to do more than that.

At the point of 1-2k rms that amp would do great but the electrical system in these trucks draws a lot of the power from the alternator as it is.
I had a 2k rms skar amp with multiple setups, including having it perfectly matched with a 2 15” 4 ohm skar 15 wired to 1ohm.
Right now I bought a kicker CX1200.1 so it’s 1200 rms mono class d and it is Louder with one 15 and 1200rms vs 2000rms and two 15s.
Seriously consider buying a capacitor for your system, even the boss audio one I purchased has helped a ton.

In the end, anything past 1k rms and you probably need to upgrade to a high amp alt! That’s my next step.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
You'll want to do the big 3. Just do it in 0 gauge. Alt to battery, alt to ground, battery to ground.

For batteries, get a good quality AGM in the front. If your alternator is sized appropriately, you won't need a second one. If you want to get something really nice look into XS power.

Supercaps are nice, but I think the cost / benefit isn't there for the power you run. Don't waste your money on smaller ones.

For ** alts, look into DC, Mechman, Singer. Don't need to go overkill for 2000w. 180-200a will suffice. Steer clear from ebay alts or any other similar rewound ones. They'll suffer from idle output issues, thermal issues under sustained load, reliability issues. Any one or more combination of those 3

When buying wire, I prefer KnuKonceptz or welding wire. Track down OFC, or better still, tinned OFC. Stay AWAY from any "CCA" wire. Also not a fan of sky high wire, they have corrosion issues. Don't forget to fuse

When making your terminations, learn to solder open ended terminals (see youtube) or invest in a proper hydraulic crimper for closed ended copper lugs. Don't skip on heat shrink - get the adhesive lined stuff. Oh and if I see you trying to mash the terminals in a bench vice or squeeze them with pliers, I'll kick you in the ding ding! :893karatesmiley-thu

OP
OP
CJ Rodarme

CJ Rodarme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll want to do the big 3. Just do it in 0 gauge. Alt to battery, alt to ground, battery to ground.

For batteries, get a good quality AGM in the front. If your alternator is sized appropriately, you won't need a second one. If you want to get something really nice look into XS power.

Supercaps are nice, but I think the cost / benefit isn't there for the power you run. Don't waste your money on smaller ones.

For ** alts, look into DC, Mechman, Singer. Don't need to go overkill for 2000w. 180-200a will suffice. Steer clear from ebay alts or any other similar rewound ones. They'll suffer from idle output issues, thermal issues under sustained load, reliability issues. Any one or more combination of those 3

When buying wire, I prefer KnuKonceptz or welding wire. Track down OFC, or better still, tinned OFC. Stay AWAY from any "CCA" wire. Also not a fan of sky high wire, they have corrosion issues. Don't forget to fuse

When making your terminations, learn to solder open ended terminals (see youtube) or invest in a proper hydraulic crimper for closed ended copper lugs. Don't skip on heat shrink - get the adhesive lined stuff. Oh and if I see you trying to mash the terminals in a bench vice or squeeze them with pliers, I'll kick you in the ding ding! :893karatesmiley-thu

Uh oh I’m seeing some of my mistakes I did my terminals with a bench vice, but I will be investing in a good crimper. I also used CCA, But I will be getting some good 1/0 OFC for the rebuild

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Let me share with you my philosophy on automotive wiring. It's a very different ball game than home wiring, where twist nuts are adequate. You'll see folks try to use similar techniques just to see them fail miserably. Automotive is a hostile environment. There are vibrations, temperature swings of over 100 degrees, moisture, dirt, salt, and chemicals. Additionally, you're only working with 12v. The current demands you're dealing with are vast. Any shortcoming in your wiring - any bit of resistance, will manifest itself with heat. And lots of it. Consider this: Your typical home is wired with a 100a master breaker. A 2000w car audio amplifier will draw in the neighborhood of 200a. Literally as much current as 2 houses. You need to plan for that and make sure your electrical system is planned and constructed with care.

Few points:
1. CCA wire is junk. It doesn't solder well as when heated, the copper layer flashes away and you're left with aluminum, which doesn't lend itself to being wetted with solder - poor connection. Additionally, copper and aluminum undergo a galvanic corrosion process due to the difference in their oxidation potential. They'll corrode each other. Whoever came up with this horrid abomination of wire needs to be hung with it. Folks will defend it due to cost, but fail to take into account both the reliability and conductivity of it. Just stay away. Stick with OFC, or better still, tinned OFC - which is marine grade corrosion resistant and solders like a dream

2. Termination; Solder or crimp it proper. Again, automotive is a hostile environment. A bench vice will not provide enough force to hold the wire in place, It's prone to falling out, working loose, and moisture ***********. A good connection should be gas tight - impermeable. In the case of soldering, the solder fuses with the wire and provides that. In a crimp, the pressure are high enough that the wire is literally cold-welded to both itself and the terminal. As a personal note, I prefer crimping over soldering - it's less prone to user error and I find the terminals used to be much higher quality. Can't tell you how many botched jobs I've had to fix because someone thought pliers were an appropriate tool for making terminations. They will come loose, they will fail. If not now, then later. I promise you that.

Bonus fact: I started crimping in automotive applications before it was cool. I had a section of wire I kept around with some lugs I tossed on for the 'haters.' Challenged them to pull the ends off. They could use any tool they wanted except for cutters. That was ~7 years ago. That same piece of wire is still sitting in the tool box. No one's been able to pull it apart, including my 220lb ass hanging+bouncing from it.

Here's a cutaway from a crimped wire. One solid piece of glorious copper
20150420_182840.jpg

This is the one I use, will crimp down to 4ga. Thinner than that I typically solder. You can find an 8 ton unit that will do smaller, but some folks have complained it doesn't provide enough force for 0 gauge or 2/0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16-Ton-Hydraulic-Wire-Crimping-Tool-Battery-Cable-Lug-Terminal-Crimper-with-12/183237759384?rt=nc&_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=2&asc=52885&meid=42749ce2a74e46988246b44f2cdb4dde&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=12&sd=232811324469&itm=183237759384&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

For lugs with a crimper, you'll want to use closed ended one like these. Mind you quality car audio cable is generally a bit oversize, so o gauge will generally need a 2/0 lug. I get mine with a 1/4" hole and drill it out depending on the size I need. Keeps the amount I need to have on hand at a minimum. Yes you'll want tinned.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TEMCo-Tinned-Copper-Lug-Ring-Terminals-Battery-Wire-Welding-Cable-AWG/382056549608?var=650955616335&hash=item58f4584ce8:m:m9Ba9nJ9wjgBZdJ4u5hl-uA:sc:USPSFirstClass!99163!US!-1&_sacat=0&_nkw=tinned+copper+lugs&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xtinned+copper+lug.TRS0

By the same token, use the bolt style fuse holders. The wire-in ones will all come loose with time and, again, because they're open, are a pretty major risk for an automotive environment. Those are the style you always see folks wondering what happened when they melt

https://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Quality-1-0-4-8-Gauge-ANL-Fuse-Holder-2-Pack-Nickel-300-Amp-300A-Fuse/162054371528?hash=item25bb3178c8:g:kFAAAOSwCmFbNqy0&_sacat=0&_nkw=fuse+holder&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0

Heatshrink: Use the adhesive lined stuff. Anything else is just decorative. It's heat shrink with hot melt glue on the inside, helps to create a proper weather tight seal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn