E85 conversion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
I'm trying to evaluate if it would be practical or even feasible to convert my rig to flex fuel. I've tried searching and got answers ranging from different injectors (32lb vs 26lb) and the associated reflash to different fuel pumps, soft lines, gas caps, and fuel composition sensors.

I'm at a dead end with my research and have yet to find any reliable info.

Anyone here know anything about it?

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a FF 5.3, used E 85 a couple times. I tell you, for the price they charge (only about 5% cheaper here) but more than 10% drop in MPG, it is not worth it. Also, from what I heard and experienced, the E85 around here is only carried by smaller stations, with maybe not so clean storage tanks. I had to replace a few injectors after running E85 because of how dirty the fuel quality was. It was not a good experience overall. Of course your experience may be different depending on where you live, but finding E85 around here is definitely not as easy as regular Tier 1 petrol.

schaffer05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't waste the money. You get worse fuel economy
While you don't get as good of fuel mileage, a lot of the tune guys use it in sports cars because flex fuel is peppier and actually gives gains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me be more specific, what year is your truck and which RPO code is your engine?

Some only need injectors and tune, some nothing but a sensor and hose according to my reading.

E85 has a way of cleaning out your system, loosening deposits from running non Top Tier fuels. That is more likely why folks have fuel system problems. Water in the fuel tank though is usually attributed to E85.

Depending on how little E85 costs in your area, it may make sense to run it even though you get less mpg. and for those interested in performance, well, it does allow the motors to make more power.

OP
OP
SnowDrifter

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me be more specific, what year is your truck and which RPO code is your engine?

Some only need injectors and tune, some nothing but a sensor and hose according to my reading.

E85 has a way of cleaning out your system, loosening deposits from running non Top Tier fuels. That is more likely why folks have fuel system problems. Water in the fuel tank though is usually attributed to E85.

Depending on how little E85 costs in your area, it may make sense to run it even though you get less mpg. and for those interested in performance, well, it does allow the motors to make more power.
2005 Tahoe LT RPO code LM7 for the engine
VIN: 1GNEK13T65J145063

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
SnowDrifter

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So basically then you'd want to convert your LM7 to an L59. The Gen III engines used a fuel composition sensor and larger Denso injectors. So at the minimum, you'd want to get from the donor whose engine code L59 or VIN Z the injectors and this sensor and PCM. Then you'd need to get the new PCM integrated into your truck.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1200612-lm7-vs-l59-visual-differences-e85.html
Thanks for the info!
Looks like the cost/benefit won't be in my favor for this one. I could justify injectors - get a balanced set as a nice little upgrade. PCM ain't too bad with all the wrecking yards around here. But that sensor looks like it'll put it over as I wouldn't be interested in getting that guy used.

Oh well. If nothing else we learned something. Maybe someone will find this on google and find it helpful