DVD to USB with directory?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J-Rod

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2015 GMC Yukon Denali. I Ordered the GM Video/navigation in-motion HMI upgrade from MVI. All seems to work great except I can't get video to play from USB from the center console USB ports. I thought that was part of the programming but after returning the website to make sure it was supposed to work that way I read this, "USB and SD Card Video In-Motion (Will NOT activate the front USB ports in RSE vehicles for rear screen viewing)". Since I have a rear screen I assume that playing video from ANY of the front USB ports isn't an option. Bummer but I can live with that. It isn't a big deal to plug USB into the rear port. My real question has to do with playing a USB with multiple movies. Haven't had an issue ripping DVD to USB and getting them to play on the screens. Everything I have put on USB has played. My question is how do I create a directory, of sorts, to be able to scroll through and pick which movie I want to play? I have 4 DVDs on the USB right now (Would love to have 25-30). Right now all I can do is hit the "skip" button and it will jump to the opening credits of the next movie. Not the greatest way to find the movie you are wanting to watch. If I pop the USB into any of the front ports and hit the Media button, it will only recognize the USB as a music source. I can hit "more", go into the folder directory, and there is a list of my DVDs (they just won't play because the stupid USB port seems to treat everything like a music file). If I could get to a folder view like this using the rear USB I am sure I can just select the movie I want and be good to go. I can't find a way to get there. If I select USB as my rear source it just begins to play the first DVD on the USB. Can't find a way to get to a folder menu or directory. Anybody has success with this?

chicagofan00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm interested as well as it's been fine with just the two movies I have loaded but I'd love to put a bunch more on there as well.

3girls1boyYukonXL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah good question! I too have the issue with those center console USB ports that seem to do NOTHING! I wish someone or some YouTube video could show me what exactly all this stuff does. Also, is it true you need to hit your rear defroster button 2x for the HMI over ride to work?

OP
OP
J-Rod

J-Rod

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Negative on the hit defrost button. MVI offers a couple of different options for video/navigation in motion. The option I got was a custom software update that required the replacement of the HMI module (they send you one, pull yours, replace, and mail them back your old one). The other option is less expensive and I imagine it is some kind of additional plug-in, that may require pushing buttons to get to activate. No experience with that.

Demer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, is it true you need to hit your rear defroster button 2x for the HMI over ride to work?

Yes. I have the module, and when I want to have a video play in the front while driving I have to press the defrost button twice. Pretty easy.

damitchell

Reaction score
I have succesfully formatted a 1TB SSD (samsung T3) in Fat32,, (from my Windows PC) then coppied all of my movies to it. Plays just fine in the rear USB. I also created subfolders for Kids, Adults, ect to shorten the searching through a lot of movies. My folders look like this.... Videos/Kids/A-M or N-Z.

You can use the remote to scroll through and select the movie to play.

I used Paragon Disk Manager to create the Fat32 partition.

Now Im just trying to get inside to that rear entertainment control board to see if I can create a usb splice of sorts and run an extension to the inside of the center console storage area instead of having it hang outside it..

Guiseppe83

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have succesfully formatted a 1TB SSD (samsung T3) in Fat32,, (from my Windows PC) then coppied all of my movies to it. Plays just fine in the rear USB. I also created subfolders for Kids, Adults, ect to shorten the searching through a lot of movies. My folders look like this.... Videos/Kids/A-M or N-Z.

Now Im just trying to get inside to that rear entertainment control board to see if I can create a usb splice of sorts and run an extension to the inside of the center console storage area instead of having it hang outside it..

going to try and "write" / organize my .mp4's in file like you've suggested IE; videos/kids/a-m or n-z. trying to not over think this and simply created a string of folders like you've listed.

id be interested to see what you find after accessing the inner board and connections to hide a External HD.

Guiseppe83

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

i still didn't have any luck with structuring folders. i divided up movies into folder. does not allow me access any directory or "menu". just auto plays the MP4 on flash drive. any other insight would be great. 2018 tahoe premeir

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645