Drivers window will not roll up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The clip and screw hole (tower) are on the switch bezel, not the switch. But that bezel needs to be removed first, then the switch from it. This is from an '04 bezel but we don't know what you're driving. Why not tell us? Maybe put it in your signature so we don't have to keep asking.

$T2eC16NHJHIFFhj!1jKCBRyfHYM7f!~~60_57.jpg

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's my tips, haven't read others. Tap on door. Sometimes the bushings when they are warn down can work intermittently. I had this issue with my drivers window and it wouldn't go back up. After tapping on door it was enough to get the bushings to contact and roll it back up before I could get a new motor.

Second, this has happened on nearly all my cars. It's a PITA. But my quick fix, was to remove the door panel. Then take the motor off. I would push the window up by hand and tape it in place or secure it with a stick.

You'll need a 7mm socket and that's it! Three screws and your panel lifts off. Be careful of the wiring harness for the door light, tweeter (if you have one), and window switches. You'll also remove the window switch panel and door handle trim & mirror trim pieces. Whole process takes seconds.

If you need to isolate switches or motor, get a 9v battery and rig it up to the motor.

BTW, insider tip, all the motors for the windows are the same. At least on my 2001 Tahoe. Only the regulator is different. I just pull one at the junkyard and use it. Tried to replace bushings but was a bit much for me... that would be cents (dollars?) compared to $5 or so for a used motor at junkyard.

rzabel

Reaction score
Do any of you know why the same window on my rig is slowing down and barely closing? It's worse in cold weather and I need to have my truck running to keep the voltage up. Is that the motor dying? Or is there someplace that needs lube?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do any of you know why the same window on my rig is slowing down and barely closing? It's worse in cold weather and I need to have my truck running to keep the voltage up. Is that the motor dying? Or is there someplace that needs lube?
usually it's the regulator, you could try some lithium grease

tungsten

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue in my 03 Silverado.Replaced passenger door a while back from a donor because of a big dent and its window struggles.
Was going to replace the motor with the original as it worked fine but haven't done it yet to see if thats the fix.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where is the regulator located?Assuming most all are in the same place?
the regulator is the cable system inside the door that the motor runs back and forth to move the glass up and down, X shape with plastic rollers, needs grease to move smoothly, the metal guides that the glass sits in should be lubed as well.
it's like a dry v-a-g, I recommend silicon based lube for that as well

jonnyb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So i get to work this morning, roll my window down to enter the parking garage and now it will not go back up and of course it is raining today. Anyone have any tips on how to roll it back up? Yesterday it didn’t want to go down on time. I tried again and to worked fine. I thought it was a fluke, will today it will not go back up.

Thanks,

Jason
I had this happen last weekend and found the cable was broken - not a switch problem. We manually lifted the glass to the top and temporarily held it in place with zip ties...only thing we had on hand in the middle of SD corn field!

OP
OP
Danzigman

Danzigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parts came in yesterday. I was able to fix it today. I tapped on the motor with a hammer and it went back up enough for me to easily reach the bolts to loosen it from the window. I went ahead and replaced the regulator and the motor. The motor seemed to be the issue as the regulator was fine.

I bought this truck from the original owner with about 35k miles on it 11 or so years ago. I was surprised to see that someone had already been in the door. The screw behind the lock was missing and the water screen had been taped back on with masking tape.

OP
OP
Danzigman

Danzigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably the motor. It was an easy job to switch everything out. The window goes up and down a lot faster than before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniordaboi909

Latest posts