Drive Belt Tensioner Noisy. Replace Whole Unit or Just Pulley?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ex Euro Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happy Holidays guys. Got a hissing drive belt tensioner and wondering if I can replace just the pulley or do I have to do the whole assembly? Thanks

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recommend that you replace both parts, as the tensioner spring within the bracket assembly loses its strength over time. I replaced my AC tensioner pulley and tensioner bracket assembly recently, as my spring broke, and I bought it from Rock Auto. The job to replace them is simple. Depending on how old your belt is, you may want to consider replacing the belt at the same time.

Last edited:

trailblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have owned about 10 trucks with the LS motors and it has been 50/50 on finding a pulley spring that was jamming up. I’d do the right thing and replace the entire assembly. Be done with it an but the gates belt component kit from RockAuto (don’t forget the 5% coupon code). The A/C belt isn’t a real priority unless it’s making noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Prudence says do it all, just once. I just lost a drive belt right after exiting commuter traffic next to Disneyland. I made it through the traffic light at the end of the ramp, then the belt fell off. It was an 08 Denali XL.

With five kids in the truck I simultaneously lost steering and the coolant began to steam out from the tank from overheating. With motor off I lost power to brakes. I got lucky and pulled into a parking lot. AAA f’d me and made me wait 3hrs for a tow a block away from a **********. At dusk the hobos came out and had to Uber all the kids to the park where the wife was.

Those pulleys and tensioners are critical to these trucks. Mine had just been replaced and also had a new belt. Shit happens, it fell off. Thankfully we took two cars because, even with a 2nd row bench seat, we were one seat belt short of getting 8 people in the Denali XL. Fortunately my wife was already at the park with another car to receive all the kids.

OP
OP
Ex Euro Driver

Ex Euro Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Prudence says do it all, just once. I just lost a drive belt right after exiting commuter traffic next to Disneyland. I made it through the traffic light at the end of the ramp, then the belt fell off. It was an 08 Denali XL.

With five kids in the truck I simultaneously lost steering and the coolant began to steam out from the tank from overheating. With motor off I lost power to brakes. I got lucky and pulled into a parking lot. AAA f’d me and made me wait 3hrs for a tow a block away from a **********. At dusk the hobos came out and had to Uber all the kids to the park where the wife was.

Those pulleys and tensioners are critical to these trucks. Mine had just been replaced and also had a new belt. Shit happens, it fell off. Thankfully we took two cars because, even with a 2nd row bench seat, we were one seat belt short of getting 8 people in the Denali XL. Fortunately my wife was already at the park with another car to receive all the kids.

Dang Pete, that’s a rough go. Glad you got through it. I had already made up my mind to do both pulleys and drive belt but now there’s absolutely no question. I put miles on my truck and depend on it. Hopefully she doesn’t let me down.

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree....the assembly is the way to go....3 bolts, 20 minutes and you're done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn

Latest posts