Drive belt giving me problems!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raptorforme93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im sorry if this is the wrong section but I thought that it was the best for my issue.

I have a 96 Hoe and a couple months ago a mysterious clicking noise started to happen and I finally figured out that it was my drive belt because it had been riding up on the very bottom pulley and then snapping down. I thought that it had been put on incorrectly but I got it replaced last week and it doesnt click because its new but it does ride up on the side of the pulley still. Yesterday I took it in to a very reputable shop that does great work and they said that all the pulleys checked out fine and everything was straight. They put on a tighter belt but it is still riding up on the pulley again. It rides up on the very bottom pulley (the drive pulley I think?). It rides up on the outside of the pulley and I cant figure out why it would do this or how to fix it. Has anyone else had this problem before? Its really frustrating! Any help is greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
raptorforme93

raptorforme93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope that this is it. I was suspecting that it could be the power steering pump because I had it replaced by a shop that I go to a lot but doesnt always do great work (stupid of me) and Ive had a problem with it for what seems like since I had it replaced. My dad and I were talking about it after I posted this thread. I hope that my water pump is misalligned and is causing the problem. Thank you!!

---------- Post added at 11:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 PM ----------

But if my power steering pump pulley is missaligned, would it cause the belt to ride up on the bottom pulley? I would think that it would ride up on the power steering pump pulley itself... Ill have to go take a look at it in the morning. Its too late now. Thank you though!

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Actually in the rotational direction of the belt either the pulley were it is happening or the one before would cause the misalignment. The cooling pump with the smooth belt surface can too but not as effectively as a ribbed pulley. While you have the belt off you can wiggle your fan assy yourself to look for play the would contribute to it. In fact do that with all of the pulleys. Just dont let your tensioner snap back when you remove the belt or you will need a new one. and put back on the correct belt or deal with bearing wear on other parts later.

OP
OP
raptorforme93

raptorforme93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go figure, the pulley that the belt is riding up on is right after the power steering pump. I know those bastards down there dont know what the hell they are doing and messed it up. Now that I look at it, it even looks like the power steering pulley is further out than the others. And Im not sure how to tell if they put the right belt on or not... I know that sounds weird but when I took it to tuffy (shit shop) the belt didnt compress the tentioner as much as the belt that my other shop put on it....

OP
OP
raptorforme93

raptorforme93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I need to readjust the position of my power steering pump to align my pulley system. How hard is it to adjust its position? Is it pretty simple or will I need a shop to do it?

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OE belt is @ 94-97 inches. It will normally have the length in the part number. The length depends on your alternator, with AC or without ... It's easy to check.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Let a shop or part store with the proper tool do it. Just clean it up real good first use the figures below for guideline on alignment

Last edited:

jzaldivar

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Belt

Take belt off clean your pullies and wash the belt with degreaser and also the pullies. Mine had a similar noise but what it was, belt had tons of build up causing it to kinda stick to the pullies. Try it, easy and practically free. Just spray a bit of belt conditioner to condition it since degreaser dries it up a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz