Don'tcha hate how...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LittlePearl13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Central Coast (SLO county), California.
For all you 4x4 owners out there who acquired your trucks with stock wheels/tires/suspension....

Don't you just hate how skinny the stock six lug wheels look? The 6 lug 16" ones. My Tahoe is essentially stock, and all other truck-owning buddies love to make fun of how wimpy my wheels look. Especially with the 245/75/r16 tires. I've got the biggest, most powerful engine, It sounds gnarlier than all of them, I can out-offroad any of them (they drive Fords...:chicken:), but I have the dinkiest little stock wheels/tires ever.

So I'm looking to change that soon. Maybe you guys can help. I can't decide how to approach this. I really don't like the look of big rims and small tire profile, but I still want some bigger wheels. I may be wrong, but I read somewhere that the wheel width is like 6.5". .....just, god no, that's awful.

When I save up to replace this stuff, what should I be looking at? I know for a fact I'll be able to fit at least 265/75/r16, but is it possible to put 265/70/r16 on the stock rims? I know when the second sequence in a tire size is decreased, the tire gets wider, but does the rim actually need to be wider to fit it? I've been using this link

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

to try and figure it out, but it's hard to know exactly what will or will not when you don't know the right information. What I know: Rim is 16" tall. What I don't know: backspacing dimensions, exact width of tire, and the offset. If you guys have any information to help me out, I'd appreciate it. Also, leave your thoughts on what wheels/tire sizes you're running, and (if you don't have it already) what wheels/tire sizes WOULD you like to run.

Any feedback at all is appreciated :)

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
265/70.16 are perfect because that have pretty much no affect on speedometer accuracy and you get a little more tread width. You should be able to go up to 285/75-16 without rubbing problems as long as you suspension is not sagging (Another mod for another thread). using the stock wheels are fine. Typical aftermarket wheels for 16" used here are 16x8 or 16x9.

Use this link for a tire size comparison as far a speedo accuracy and dimensions goes.

Would like to run 32-33" or equivalent's but I will have to do some torsion bar cranking on the front end first and would like to maybe increase an in or two in wheel diameter not to mention change the gear ratio in front and rear axles to compensate for taller tires but I would have to get all the stuff together first and then spend a load to have it all changed at once to avoid repeating tasks.

---------- Post added at 12:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 AM ----------

What sucks is I still don't have work so no money, I got two dead cylinders, need tires very soon and have gmc 16" rims and my front axle won't lock with the front drive shaft because of an electrical power issue being caused by a mechanical issue in an electrically shifted t-case. I was $300 away from finishing priority items to get back on the road to work when the cylinders dropped. Don't you hate it when that happens. Right after putting $3-4000 into it already too.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stock wheels are 16x7. I have run a 305 on 305/70/16 on the stockers....they rub a lot though. a 265 is a nice fit for zero lift.

And what is wrong with 245s? LOL. you thought your truck looks wimpy with them, look at my suburban with them on....

Attachments

• IMG_1651.jpg
    IMG_1651.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1652.jpg
    IMG_1652.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1653.jpg
    IMG_1653.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 49

EastTXYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of the 4x4's came stock with 265/75 on a 16x7 rim (like mine). I cant wait for my tires to wear out so I can go bigger with a 3" body lift and new rims.

Crank your torsion bars up just about an inch and go with some 285/75 on your stock rims. Thats a great look for a stock or close to stock truck, imo.

Do a search for a member on here: Rsymons
He has the setup I'm talking about with a little crank and a 1" block in the rear on 285/75 16's

OP
OP
LittlePearl13

LittlePearl13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Central Coast (SLO county), California.
Haha Bowtie, that's so comical, it makes it cool x)

But you guys are right, that 265/70 looks great, and with no rubbing? I'm sold. I really like that look: the truck looks gnarly as ****, and off road ready, but you dont actually have to lift it. It's like the 4x4 equivalent of a sleeper, haha. Too bad I didn't know about this three weeks ago. I just replaced my tires -_- now I have to wait to wear these out. Good thing my idler and pitman arms need replacing, and are making weird tread wear patterns. Not.

(my tahoe is my first car, and I found it for sale locally. Only had one owner, and they claimed to take really good care of it: the inside was super clean, the engineis in pretty good shape... however, within like two weeks a whole flood of repairs showed up. I had to replace my catalytic converter, which burnt out, the heater doesn't work, the a/c needs freyon, the dial or the doors that direct the flow of air is broken, the serpentine belt is just a little too long, and makes an obnoxious squeak, my muffler is so old and busted out, that there's holes in the bottom, and you can see little pieces of loose baffles hanging out, my brakes need replacement soon, and then of course there's my front suspension issue...so yeah, not a whole lot of room to be spending my cash on mods :c)

RSymons' tahoe looks sick. That's like exactly the look I'm going for, but since I know next to nothing about suspension, I figure when I replace I'll just go 265/70/r16. Unless that's a few years from now, and I save enough to get bigger tires, and to buy little incher blocks for the back. I'd have to pay someone to do the crank, I have no idea how to do it.

drowndindreams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stock wheels are 16x7. I have run a 305 on 305/70/16 on the stockers....they rub a lot though. a 265 is a nice fit for zero lift.

And what is wrong with 245s? LOL. you thought your truck looks wimpy with them, look at my suburban with them on....

Damn, you already lifted the burban?

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My truck at stock height, no crank, 265s on a 17x8 with 4.5BS. The oldest, darkest picture is stock height on a 285

Attachments

• IMG_5535.jpg
    IMG_5535.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5537.jpg
    IMG_5537.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 10-19-06001.jpg
    10-19-06001.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 43

Forum statistics

Threads