Do you ever use the driving modes on your Yukon?....Sport, Off-Road..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Baja_Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone ever use the drive modes like the sport, tow, off-road? I played around with the sport mode recently and didn't notice much difference in engine noise or performance. How much do they actually do?

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve never used that dial in my ‘21 Tahoe and I’ve had it for about a year. :)

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll use the tow haul mode when my boat is behind me. I’ll use off road the last 10 miles of minimum maintenance road into my fishing spot in Canada this summer, the added 2” of ground clearance will be helpful.

Your need to use these other modes will depend on usage. If you never leave the pavement and don’t tow, you won’t need them.

Tow/Haul in my ‘13 was really nice to have with the boat on, especially when defending hills…probably added 25% to the life of the brakes because it held a lower gear.

Bowtie_Bandit

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Basically, the driving modes adjust the transmission shifting points based upon the activity. For example , in sport mode it shifts at higher RPM. Normal will shift at lower RPMs to conserve fuel. I wasn’t aware it shifted ride height unless you are equipped with air suspension and then maybe it adjust that as well.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Basically, the driving modes adjust the transmission shifting points based upon the activity. For example , in sport mode it shifts at higher RPM. Normal will shift at lower RPMs to conserve fuel. I wasn’t aware it shifted ride height unless you are equipped with air suspension and then maybe it adjust that as well.
Yes, ride height adjustment happens if equipped w/ the air suspension.

SSGUNNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive used tow mode more often than the others. Tow mode helps coming on a downhill heavy with adjusting the shift points to minimize excessive brake wear. Sport mode, maybe twice when I was feeling “froggy”.

Last edited:

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tow mode for sure, makes a huge difference in how the vehicle performs when dragging around a trailer. Can't comment on sport or off road, will probably never use either

OP
OP
Baja_Bob

Baja_Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't tried it yet, does off-road mode have any effect in 2WD, does it shift to 4WD?

DenaliCountry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used sport mode once or twice just to see what it was about. In most vehicles this usually tightens the suspension, changes shift points (as mentioned above) and tightens the power steering. Any idea if this is true for the Yukon (besides the shift point changes)? Seat of the pants made me feel the suspension was tighter in sport but not sure if that's true. I use tow haul when towing of course and it makes a huge difference, however, sometimes it just hangs in low gear for way longer than my liking so I have to manually intervene to get it to shift into a higher gear to help with mileage.

OP
OP
Baja_Bob

Baja_Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been a while since I towed anything, last time I used tow/haul the button was on the end of the shift lever, does tow/sport prevent cylinder deactivation?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lady112210