DIYer: Shimmy23's FX-r Projector Retrofit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shimmy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
13805771164_b843673465_z.jpg

As some of you know, I opted to retrofit the headlights on my Yukon. The stock lighting isn’t all that bad, but could be much improved on by adding projectors (RX350, FX-r, D2s 3.0). I’ve done a few retrofits and the Yukon looked pretty straight forward compared to some of the others I’ve tackled. After comparing a few pics and hearing some feedback on HIDPlanet, I decided to use the 3” FX-r projectors. I used OEM FX45 projectors in my BMW and the FX-r isn’t far behind in light output.

These steps and photos are just for reference and by no means are the only way to refrofit FX-r’s. There’s no science to this either. Just measure twice and cut once. Below are the steps I took and you can follow them at your own risk. I didn’t take detailed photos of each step, but you can manage without them. If you are installing MH1's or MD2S 3.0 projectors, the retrofit process is MUCH EASIER since there is only minor trimming required. In my opinion, if you are going to open the headlights up, you might as well install a better projector, FX-r, RX350, etc. Also, the MH1's are only a 2.5" lens.

Parts used: (purchased from The Reftrofit Source)
1. Eagle Eye Denali replica headlights
2. Morimoto FX-r Projectors (3” lens model)
3. Apollo 3.0 shrouds
4. Mopar Spec H13 Bi-Xenon HD Harness
5. D2S HID bulbs (several options, Philips, Osram, Morimoto, etc)
6. Lightwerkz HID ballasts
7. JB Steel Stik, JB Weld
8. Misc bolts and nuts
9. Zip ties

13453517473_c9c352fdde_o.jpg

I also suggest that you view these short vids/reads in preparation. They will help you understand the concept of the steps taken below.

Mounting and Alignment
Disassembly of headlamp housing/lens
FX-r Projector Install Guide

The first few steps aren’t necessary, but will make your job a little easier. If you don’t have a way to do this, you have two options, build a jig, or align the headlights on a table using a leveling tool.

Step 1: Park your car 25ft from a wall. You will use this wall to mark where your existing stock beam pattern

Step 2: Shine your headlights onto the wall. Using blue painters tape, mark the locations and level of the stock beam

Step 3: Remove front bumper

Step 4: Remove stock headlights

13807343824_18a9591c08_z.jpg

Step 5: Place headlights on a cookie sheet and into the oven for 6 minutes at 200deg. Make sure to place cardboard on the cookie sheet. This will protect the headlight housing mounting points from melting. Also, remember to remove the back rubber bulb cover and all bulbs.
I used Eagle Eye headlights which use butly rubber as a sealant. This sealant will come apart easily. If you are using the OEM headlamps, it will require multiple heat cycles since the perma-seal glue used is a royal PITA to work with.

Step 6: Remove the headlights from the oven. Using a flathead screwdriver, gently pry the lens from the back housing. It may require some force to separate the two, due to the sealant, but it should come apart nicely without any warping of the lens.

Step 7: Now, you can remove the actual halogen reflector from the back housing. It is held in place by three ball type joints as shown below.

13807000975_5a1568afbe_z.jpg

Step 8: It’s time to do some measuring. I used a large hose clamp to measure the backside of the FX-r projector bowl, then traced it on the reflector housing. I knew I’d have to cut more, but it’s a good starting point.

13807023373_d0eef99049_c.jpg

13807000555_7cccc6dd2b_c.jpg

Step 9: Let’s do some cutting! I used a dremel tool with multiple bits. I taped up the projector to prevent scratching the lens while I test fitted it over and over until I got the right cut out shape. After a few more measurements and test fitting, I ended up with this. The four mounting points on the FX-r sit flush with the reflector bowl.

13806992315_2a07ac2974_z.jpg

13806999293_304eff5691_c.jpg

13807334874_fb011fd470_c.jpg

Step 10: Install the HID wiring harness. There’s multiple ways to do this, so I just took a picture of what plugs go to where. I used this harness sold by TRS.

13807331404_f1b54d7445_c.jpg

Step 10: Now it’s time to fit the projector into the housing. You can tack it in using JB Steel Stick. I used a combination of JB SS and small bolts w/screws. Reinstall the reflectors in the housings and remount to car. Position your projectors into the reflector, with the bulbs turned on. You will now align the beams against the original beam pattern marked in Step 2.

13807327634_5ef635aa5d_z.jpg

Step 11: Remove the reflector/projector from the housing.

Step 12: Permanently mount the FX-r projectors to the reflector. You’ll want to cover any projector holes with hi heat aluminum tape to prevent JB weld from entering the projector housing itself. Be liberal with the JB Weld. I probably could have used more. JB Kwik will also work, but JB Weld is just a little bit stronger.

13807006963_c3598d9f58_c.jpg

13806984045_11ffacb66c_c.jpg

Step 13: Install the projector shroud. I used the Apollo 3.0 shroud and had to shave a little to allow it to fit without making contact with the reflector bowl. Use a small amount of JB Weld on the mounting tabs of the shroud and carefully center over the FX-r.

13807006113_9ccd19cc53_c.jpg

Step 14: Now you’ll want to wait 24hrs for everything to cure and settle. This is really important. Reinstall the projector/reflector back on the housing

Step 15: Reinstall the headlight lens. Carefully align the lens over the housing. I used a heat gun on its lowest settings to re melt the butyl rubber and slowly re-seal the lens to the housing. You can also place the headlight back into the oven, but I didn’t want to risk melting anything. A heat gun works great.

13806981285_f2eab6a0b3_z.jpg

13807005463_953734752e_c.jpg

Even the rubber cover still fits! FTW!

13806980245_c62e7fea4e_c.jpg

Step 16: Reinstall the blinker bulbs and side bulbs

Step 17: All done!!! Now reinstall your projector retrofit back on the Yukon and re-aim as necessary!

13806979605_ff311ed9d4_z.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Shimmy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Nice work...big props...looks great!

Nice write up, well done sir.

Nice work!!

nicely done!

Thanks everyone! Its pretty straight forward.:)

Great work

Some output shots?

I had some, but accidently erased them when transfering them over to the PC. I'll get more this weekend.

I'm currently using the Morimoto D2S bulbs since I had them laying around from a previous car. I'm going to get the Osram CBIs soon. I hear it makes a big difference.

caddmus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nice work Shimmy!!!

Anyone know if a retrofit headlights like the ones that Shimmy did can be bought at some place with all done?, at my country I don't have all the resources needed to do it my self.

Thanks.

tazjamin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would angel eyes look good in these lights and is there a way to not have the lights on when driving?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 12:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

And shimmy thank you because now I feel very comfortable doing this myself now!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz