Difference in the 2wd & 4wd tahoe suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sockittome

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
HELLO, THERE I AM NEW TOO THE SITE AND I HOPE IT WILL BE HELPFUL. I HAVE A 1997 2 DOOR TAHOE 2WD. I BOUGHT IT ALREADY LOWERED BUT IT DRIVES LIKE CRAP AND WHEN MY KIDS SIT IN THE BACK THE FRAME HITS. I WANT TO BRING IT BACK TO STOCK HEIGHT AND ADD SOME AGRESSIVE RIMS AND TIRES WITHOUT HAVING TO ADD A LIFT. IT CURRENTLY HAS 20's. I AM WONDERING IF AMYONE KNOWS IF THE REAR LEAF SPRINGS ON THE 1997 TAHOE 4WD ARE THE SAME FOR THE 2WD? ALSO I THINK THE 4WD USES FRONT TORSION SPRINGS VS. COILS LIKE MINE. I WONDER IF THE SUBURBAN OR C1500 SPRINGS ARE COMPATIBLE? SOMEONE PLEASE HELP?

99Yukon_Z71

Crazy Puerto Rican
Reaction score
HELLO, THERE I AM NEW TOO THE SITE AND I HOPE IT WILL BE HELPFUL. I HAVE A 1997 2 DOOR TAHOE 2WD. I BOUGHT IT ALREADY LOWERED BUT IT DRIVES LIKE CRAP AND WHEN MY KIDS SIT IN THE BACK THE FRAME HITS. I WANT TO BRING IT BACK TO STOCK HEIGHT AND ADD SOME AGRESSIVE RIMS AND TIRES WITHOUT HAVING TO ADD A LIFT. IT CURRENTLY HAS 20's. I AM WONDERING IF AMYONE KNOWS IF THE REAR LEAF SPRINGS ON THE 1997 TAHOE 4WD ARE THE SAME FOR THE 2WD? ALSO I THINK THE 4WD USES FRONT TORSION SPRINGS VS. COILS LIKE MINE. I WONDER IF THE SUBURBAN OR C1500 SPRINGS ARE COMPATIBLE? SOMEONE PLEASE HELP?

Just install some C1500 Burban springs up front and the rear was lowered most likely by blocks. Pull the blocks off and you will have your hoe back to stock level. The front could also have been lowered with spindles/knuckle assemblies so make sure its just the springs or knuckles.

OP
OP
S

sockittome

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you so much this helps alot. It's funny how some parts web sites show lowering coil springs fit the C1500 & Suburban 1500, Yukon & Tahoe and some site leave the Yukon and Tahoe out. Hey thanks again!

hapyspaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont forget you will need to get factory ride height shocks back on it as well. More than likely they have lowered shocks on it now.

OP
OP
S

sockittome

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It doesnt look right

Ok, finally had some funds to bring the 97 2wd 2 door tahoe back to stock height. The suspension tech changed out my rear leaf springs and the front spindels. All 4 new shocks. But here is the problem the front is still about 2" lower than the rear even with the new stock height spindels. Anyone no what is wrong here? The tech said it might need the coil springs replaced to bring it closer to level but he could not tell if the front coils were the stock or not.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10