Did my head unit **** the bed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Missy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
07 Yukon slt
I had intermittent battery problems last winter where the whole unit would work, but eventually would come back on. Now it's hot as Satan's crack, I've had numerous work including a new battery a few months back. Recently, the screen is dead along with sound, blinkers etc. I checked the amp fuses and a few others. Only thing I haven't done is disconnect the battery, but I have a feeling that won't be much of help at this point. Maybe the amp fried? I'm just trying to see what I can do or check, if anything before removing the head unit. I know the easiest answer is replace the HU, but I'm trying to stay cheap as possible. She's hitting 275k miles soon. Thanks for any help. ♥

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on my base bose system, the chimes came from the headunit, and since your display is dead, I would replace headunit first before worrying about the amp.

OP
OP
Missy

Missy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I figured it was the head unit, but was hoping it wasn't, since I'm not looking to upgrade it. OEM still runs about 200-250 unless I'm looking on eBay options. I refuse to drive in silence though.

OP
OP
Missy

Missy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I forgot to mention as well, not sure if it's related but my parking assist camera never worked right. I changed out the fuse to that even though it looked okay, but the next day is when I lost the screen and sound. I can connect to Bluetooth via the cigarette lighter, but of course no sound comes through the speakers. It might be time to just go to an 09.

OP
OP
Missy

Missy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
on my base bose system, the chimes came from the headunit, and since your display is dead, I would replace headunit first before worrying about the amp.
Old post, but I assumed it was the head unit too, as it never worked. That's until today, it randomly turned on and works just like it used too. I haven't done anything different, so I really have no clue why it stopped working 6 months ago.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Batteries & their wiring are the Achilles heel of these trucks. Once the pathways are cleaned back up, especially the 5V diagnostic line susceptible to voltage issues, life is good again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Benito r

Latest posts