dexcool or regular antifreeze??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dudeface

Reaction score
hey all...............recently discovered that my block heater cord was shorting out and basically fried one of the terminals off the heater unit itself. It gets real cold here sometimes and i really hate not having a block heater.....so i think i might have to replace the heating unit soon
now that i will be draining the fluid and changing the block heater out soon if weather permits. basically my question is............should i stick with dexcool antifreeze, or when i drain the anti freeze should i convert it to the regular green antifreeze?? i am pretty sure its cheaper for one..............and have heard talk that the dexcool antifreeze is not as good as regular old school green, and that it possibly is damaging to some systems in the long run .........possibly on aluminium parts as well ???

I am not a liscenced mechanic.............been wrenching for 30+ years and i do know the old school green does what its supposed to.............can't speak for the dexcool ................

any advice or stories or anyone who has tried this let me know

peace

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They say dexcool lasts longer than the green. if you maintain your equipment and check the coolant with test strips every now and then I don't see a problem using the green. Now, some will say that dexcool is the only way to go and your system wont work as good on the green. I have put 100's of thousands of miles on my diesel and used the green, never any problems. I have also used the long life coolant and not had any problems. I had to change my water pump last summer and put green in mine. I doubt I will ever have a problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman