Denali Headlight Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bjh06161

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello,
I am new on the forum so I apologize if Im posting in an incorrect section. I recently bought a 2002 Yukon Denali. It has a few minor issues that Im working through but the main problem I am having is with the low beam headlights. They are working but they are incredibly dim. Im trying to figure out if this is normal for this make/model or if I have something wrong. When I turn on the vehicle the lights on the top corners that are projectors are illuminated at all times. If I turn the interior switch on nothing happens, they stay on at the exact same brightness. I replaced those bulbs with silverstars thinking the bulbs were just dim, but its really about the same. My foglights have been a saving grace driving at night because they put out way more light than the low beam. The high beam is great and I have no issues seeing with those. Are the lights down by the turn signals supposed to be on too? Once again for clarification when my low beams are on, the only lights illuminated are the top lights in the corners which are dim in my opinion and the marker lights.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The projectors on Denalis are very good, better than any other model, so something is obviously wrong. It could be that you have some cheap aftermarket lights in place of the stock ones. Pull the housings and take some pictures of them, especially the backs, and post them here. We should be able to tell more by looking at them.

Davidb5303

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 03 that I just got and I am curious too. I am experiencing the EXACT same thing and curious to what the remedy is..

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still see no pictures of the actual headlight housings and bulb assemblies. Hard to find a remedy that way. It takes no tools to pull the headlight housings out of your vehicles and about a minute of your time.

Davidb5303

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well I am not the OP but here are my pics. I am to the point of wondering if they light up anything. Thanks

IMG_0045.JPG

IMG_0047.JPG

IMG_0048.JPG

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Weird; I was expecting to see some cheap aftermarket housings but those look like the original Denali projectors. The good news is that they work good with an inexpensive PNP HID kit. That will definitely light things up nicely. Those housings are in pretty high demand by the non-Denali crowd just for that reason. Most factory halogen projectors will scatter HID lighting so much that they don't work well or they blind oncoming traffic but the Denali projectors focus the HID good and they have a good cutoff line so they don't offend oncoming drivers. If you go that route, you'll want to do the 4-high mod so the lows stay on when you hit the brights otherwise when you go back to low beam it takes a few seconds for the HID's to light up again. Also, I did the auto headlight disable because it kept burning ballasts due to trying to fire up the HID's when the starter was turning the truck over and the voltage was low. It might sound like a lot of work but only takes a few minutes for each mod. I can steer you to the info if needed.

Davidb5303

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Weird; I was expecting to see some cheap aftermarket housings but those look like the original Denali projectors. The good news is that they work good with an inexpensive PNP HID kit. That will definitely light things up nicely. Those housings are in pretty high demand by the non-Denali crowd just for that reason. Most factory halogen projectors will scatter HID lighting so much that they don't work well or they blind oncoming traffic but the Denali projectors focus the HID good and they have a good cutoff line so they don't offend oncoming drivers. If you go that route, you'll want to do the 4-high mod so the lows stay on when you hit the brights otherwise when you go back to low beam it takes a few seconds for the HID's to light up again. Also, I did the auto headlight disable because it kept burning ballasts due to trying to fire up the HID's when the starter was turning the truck over and the voltage was low. It might sound like a lot of work but only takes a few minutes for each mod. I can steer you to the info if needed.
Perfect I am all ears and eyes....cause I need to do something cause I feel like Ray Charles trying to drive st night. Can't tell if it shows in pic but there is a plug for the low beam and that plugs into a short 6" harness that then plugs into the 9005 lamp. I assume this is all original. If these are referred as "projection" it's almost like there closed.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They can't be closed, there's no shutter like the projectors that combine high and low beam in one lamp. You might take the projector portion apart to see if they're dirty inside. Here's a link to the 4 high mod for an 03:
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thre...mod-on-an-03-06-full-size-truck-for-3-00.571/
I can't find an auto headlight disable thread for an 03 yet. You might try a search if you need to do it.

Davidb5303

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
well i removed both headlight assemblies...they apear to be clean, and i then swapped low and high beam lamps and reinstalled..low beams still seem to not be very bright and hick beams are still very bright. I need to figure something out cause i almost feel there not a safe amount of light being emitted

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruffnready