Denali 20" Rim Issue - Chrome Peeling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
That sucks man.
Not to go off topic but is your Denali customized to a point it would hit that price tag?
Also I dont feel the government is part of any of GMs issues, dont forget the Gov had nothing to do with them before June (in which by then they were already giving you the run around).

OP
OP
Denali Guy

Denali Guy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I went to a GMC dealership and they replaced all four without question. I had issues with peeling on each rim in the inside corners and there was corrosion on the non-chrome area on the inside of the rim. This was the only place they were peeling so it was clearly a defect. If I abused them with harsh chemicals/carwash solutions then I would think that they would peel all over the rim. They were replaced last month and GM must have a history replacing these rims because I saw others with a similar problem. I would not let this one die and talk to every GMC dealer in your state until you get the answer you deserve.

fierodough

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
GM / Cadillac will not warranty my rims / wheels. The chrome is peeling off and it's a 2006. Seems that year had quite the bad batch. I spoke with the service director and GM over the phone. I recorded the conversation for you guys. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9Ta4wiGuy8

Here is a bulleting from GM that clearly states the wheels should be covered under warranty. (Hope this helps someone)

#07-03-10-015: General Motors New Vehicle Wheel Warranty Coverage - (Nov 6, 2007)

Subject:General Motors New Vehicle Wheel Warranty Coverage

Models:1996-2008 GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks (including Saturn)
2003-2008 HUMMER H2
2006-2008 HUMMER H3
2005-2008 Saab 9-7X

http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2037107&from=sm#ss1-2037107

The General Motors New Vehicle Wheel Warranty

This bulletin has been issued to clarify warrantable conditions on GM OEM wheels. It is our intent that this one document will answer many of the warranty scenarios you are likely to encounter. Unlike other parts of the vehicle, wheels encounter various road hazards, corrosive substances and abuses that may present questions in both the mind of the customer and the dealer. Eligible conditions are warranted for the full term of the New Vehicle Warranty. Currently for Chevrolet (except Corvette), Pontiac and Saturn, this is 3 years / 36,000 miles (60,000 km) and for Buick, Cadillac, HUMMER and Corvette, coverage is for 4 years / 50,000 miles (80,000 km).
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2037107&from=sm#ss2-2037107">Information Sources for Wheel Issues

The following GM Service Bulletins contain information useful to minimizing possible damage, and reducing customer concerns that may arise through incorrect servicing and improper cleaning products.
• #00-03-10-002D - Chemical Staining, Pitting, Corrosion and/or Spotted Appearance of Chromed Aluminum Wheels
• #04-03-10-012A - Pitting and Brake Dust on Chrome Wheels
• #06-03-10-004 - Proper Use of OEM Service Wheel Weights, Marring and/or Damage Due to Use of Non-OEM and/or Incorrect Wheel Weight Installation
• #06-03-10-010 - Information on Proper Wheel Changing Procedures and Cautions

http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2037107&from=sm#ss3-2037107

What is NOT Warrantable

GM provides many different styles and finishes for our passenger car and truck wheels. You will find both steel and aluminum wheels with painted, polished or chrome finishes available. While each of these types must meet GM durability standards for road impacts and finish appearance, there are conditions that are not warrantable.
Curb Impact / Scrapes

Wheels that have been damaged through abuse are not warrantable. Finish scraping and wheel flanges that have been damaged due to curb impact are not warrantable.
Bent Wheel Flanges / Cracked Wheels

Bent wheels and cracked wheels due to road hazards are not warrantable. In many cases bent and cracked wheels result from driving on low tire air pressure or a flat tire. Low tire pressures dramatically reduce the impact protection the wheel has and lowers the threshold where damage may occur.
Finish Damage / Streaking / Pitting / Corrosion

There are many different types of finish damage possible, resulting from aggressive cleaning products, road chemicals, poor tire changing practices, or manufacturing processes. Some of these are warrantable while others indicate abuse. See the Finish Damage sections below, which give examples of the different types of specific finish concern issues you may encounter.

Warrantable Issues
Any defects in the finish, balance, or structure of the wheel resulting from improper manufacture are covered under the New Vehicle Warranty for the full time and mileage limits of that warranty. Typical covered finish issues that you may encounter are:

• Flaky or pitted chrome on the visible wheel surface indicating poor adhesion of the plating.

• Polished or machined aluminum wheels that exhibit Filiform Corrosion (chalky white lines under the clear coating) This condition is warrantable, unless it is caused by incorrect wheel weight application and use.

• Wheel center caps that exhibit similar conditions to warrantable wheel concerns.

• Thin or poor paint finish quality on painted wheels. Bubbling / Flaking of the paint.

• Paint damage incurred during stick-on wheel weight changes. (See Stick-On Wheel Weight Paint Damage or Paint Flaking/Peeling Backside of Wheel)

• Flaking or peeling on backside surface of wheel indicating poor adhesion of the plating (See Stick-On Wheel Weight Paint Damage or Paint Flaking/Peeling Backside of Wheel).

rogersinsel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Newbie to the forum. Just bought a 2007 Black Denali in a private sale. 20K miles with an extended warranty to 100K. My issue is that the chrome is begining to peel off on the inside corners of the wheel hubs on these GMC rims. :emotions122: The truck was babied and the previous owner only used soap and water to clean these rims as per the maintenance manual instructions so this seems like a factory defect. I have a call into my local GMC dealer for service but wanted to see if anyone else had this issue. Thanks for your advice!

Are they real chrome or those plastic P.O.S.? When I bought my Tahoe I had them get those plastic wheels off and replace them.

GMC mess

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Rims peeling too

I have a 2008 GMC Denali and the rims are a mess! They are peeling! A call to GMC says they were never covered and they won't take responsibility for them. We take good care of this car and feel an expensive car like this shouldn't have substandard rims. How can I make GMC replace them? Any ideas?

mowrer7

Reaction score
Just got a 2007 Tahoe LTZ with just over 60k and have noticed the chrome peeling inside the lug nut holes. Wheels would probably only be covered under the 36k warranty I would assume, that is if you could find a dealership that goes to bat for you.

mcgulled

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a set of 20" GMC Denali with Bridgestone tires mounted. Bout have about 4,000 miles on them. Just bought the 2011 Denali new as a demo. I will sell the tires and wheels for $2,000. Let me know if you are interested

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMHO Chrome is overrated. I like it in moderation. I would use this as a excuse to powdercoat monochrome with the truck color.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman