Denali 20" Rim Issue - Chrome Peeling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denali Guy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Newbie to the forum. Just bought a 2007 Black Denali in a private sale. 20K miles with an extended warranty to 100K. My issue is that the chrome is begining to peel off on the inside corners of the wheel hubs on these GMC rims. :emotions122: The truck was babied and the previous owner only used soap and water to clean these rims as per the maintenance manual instructions so this seems like a factory defect. I have a call into my local GMC dealer for service but wanted to see if anyone else had this issue. Thanks for your advice!

OP
OP
Denali Guy

Denali Guy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Anyone have any success getting GM to replace the rims? A $55K+ truck with the upgraded rims should hold up to road salt.

Sepiroth

I am here
Reaction score
No they should not hold up to road salt.

---------- Post added at 09:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 PM ----------

I laugh at all these dealerships showing and selling vehicles, in the salt belt anyway, with chrome wheels, chrome accents, and gold plating. The salt will eat them up, unless you're out there right after exposure to the salt washing and wiping them down.

If these are OEM wheels, check your owners manual on care of chrome plated wheels. Be sure when you go to the stealership, you point out that you did follow the care procedure to the T.

Fyrcaptain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was a garage queen, never any snow or salt. It seemed like bad chrome or improper prep prior to chrome bubbling from underneath.

bjc7jr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if your vehicle is under warranty and the chrome is peeling, it shouldn't be a question. the dealer should replace them. Salt or not. I've had it done.

OP
OP
Denali Guy

Denali Guy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Took it to the dealer this week and they are replacing all four rims no questions asked. This is clearly a defect in manufacturing.

n2rnet

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I too have problems but GMC said sorry

I was just notified today that GMC would not do anything to correct the peeling of the chrome. I have been discussing this with them for almost 4 months. My 07 Denali was 1 year and 11 months since I purchased new when I noticed the problem. I took it to a GMC dealer (they forced my old dealer out) and the service manager stated that it was because of wheel cleaner that I used to clean the chrome that caused the problem. (yea, right) (I have my Denali professionally cleaned each time it needs to be cleaned.) GMC stated if I could get another GM dealer to say it was a defect, they would correct the problem. I went to Gatton Chevy dealer in Bristol, TN and the service manager agreed with me. I also took it to a metallurgist that agreed it was a defect. GMC then notified me today that a GM dealer is not a GMC dealer so my claim has been closed and they will do nothing. As I told them, I have been an exclusive GM customer my entire life but it has now changed. I advise them that I did not pay over $58,000 for an automobile to have the chrome peel in less than 2 years. They have now lost my business as well as my companies business because of this. Now that GM is a government owned company, they government has wasted little time in screwing up this business.
William

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xay2Smoove