D-Pillar speaker revisit - purpose and connections

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AC95

Reaction score
when I had my nbs I changed the rear pillar speakers to 3" I don't recall the brand name, they where European and had big magnets I had to cut away some of the back of the pillar cover plastic with a razor knife to make it work but when the covers were put back on you couldn't see the difference. I then ran the pillar speakers on the amp from the head unit (pioneer) and the door speakers were on a amp I put under the seat and the subwoofer had it's own amp. overall all it just added more sound if you were in the back seat you could hear them rather than the door speakers. I had also added the bose front pillar tweeters in addition to the front door tweeters.
This is what I was thinking! Using my 4 channel for the door speakers and front tweeters. And then powering the rear D pillar speakers with the headunit amp!

Scott in AZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my rear pillar speakers in 2001 Yukon w factory amp, without Bose. I used Memphis Audio PR27s. Fit was perfect. Depth and mounting are very similar to OEM original. See pics, I rotated speakers 90 degrees and drilled new pilot holes into the plastic pillar back-body, added sheet metal screws at 9-o’clock and 3-o’clock. Then popped in the original plastic pin back into place at 12-o’clock providing a third point of purchase. And added an inline Crutchfield high-pass capacitor/coil to filter out bass below 150 hertz. The finished look is completely stock.

It’s indeed a filler speaker, not high end or punchy bass. I think the advertised FR on the Memphis Audio PR27 is 200-12,000 hz.

Speaker runs off the factory amp in parallel w rear door speaker in my rig (but I think the really correct way to do this would be to add a surface mount tweeter and full crossover, then drive this new mid/tweeter combo from a separate 2/1 subwoofer amp using the new head unit rear channel RCA signal to supplement the rear channel signal from the OEM amp).

I’m happy with the upgraded sonic results I got using the OEM signal feed off the rear channel amp. That amp is adequate, in my opinion, for everything except subwoofer. My simple before-without/after-with eardrum test was convincing. All the original paper cone speakers in our GMT800s are trash by now. If you haven’t replaced yours, you should.

Attachments

• 37391F7B-12F7-4182-9137-8BCB0F0028F8.jpeg
    37391F7B-12F7-4182-9137-8BCB0F0028F8.jpeg
    337.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 39282B1B-A4BD-4827-ADE2-664FF0F2FE68.jpeg
    39282B1B-A4BD-4827-ADE2-664FF0F2FE68.jpeg
    503.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member