Cylinder 2 Misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blask_3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did new plugs and wires to try and get rid of the misfire and I still have it. I put in some injector cleaner in too and it is still there. Anyone have ideas what I should do next? I am gonna compression test it this week, hopefully that is okay.

kcb37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What type of injector cleaner? In the gas tank? (not a good injector cleaner, good for general maint, but not to clean a bad/dirty injector)

What do the cap and rotor look like?

If you have a scanner you can see what the fuel trims look like, along with O2 sensors.

MC153

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like injectors. Do you have the new style? From my experience that is what causes misfire codes in 96+ vortecs.

kcb37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Misfires in vortec's are caused by a lot of things.
Like plugs and wires, you have already done.
The cap and rotor on these do not tend to last super long. So start their now.
You can put a fuel pressure gauge on it. See what it's at fuel pump primed engine off.
Engine running.
Shut it off see how much it drops. If I remember correctly should not drop more then 10 psi in 10 minutes. Something like that.
That would be a leaky injector or a bad fpr.

OP
OP
Blask_3

Blask_3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I used in the tank and I will try a cap and rotor next week. If it is an injector I have the new style I guess. I don't really know the difference.

inthechateau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take a close look at your rotor. I have had more problems with them grounding out to the mounting screws lately. Went through 5 brand new ones one time and they were Delco's. You will see a carbon line from one of the screws. that is what usually caused the mis fires I was working on.

OP
OP
Blask_3

Blask_3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks I looked and that was ok. I think I found a leak in the upper intake manifold. Does anyone know if this would cause the misfire? I think the leak is right above the cylinder that is misfiring. I cant seem to find anything else short of injectors. Im wondering what else it could be. Should I do an injector upgrade or ?......

Last edited:

autolover3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spray carb cleaner or propane around suspected leak, if rpm's change you found a leak. How many miles? Also what did you check on cap and rotor? Do you have any DTC's??

OP
OP
Blask_3

Blask_3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I checked for the burns like someone suggested but i replaced them anyway. I have around 160k on it and its showing a p302 misfire in the number 2 cylinder. I checked compression and that is good at 150psi. A friend of mine said that after she did intake gaskets on her dodge her misfire was gone.

autolover3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would do what i suggested before.. spray some carb cleaner or propane around suspected leak while engine is running. If rpm's change gasket is leaking.