Couple of mods.....now no power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MudnRox

Rebel without a clue
Reaction score
I have a 2013 Tahoe with the 5.3L. Installed an Airaid Jr(using factory filter)and a Magnaflow cat-back. No other changes. Vehicle now feels like it just doesn't want to move. Its like it can't get out of it's own way. I have to mash the gas pedal to about 3/4 throttle to get the vehicle moving when leaving a stop light or sign. Problem started a few weeks after exhaust was installed. City mpg is down but hwy has remained close to stock mpg.

Dealer told me to remove cat back and re-install factory exhaust. They claim the drop in back pressure is the problem. Dealer could find no other issues with vehicle. No codes were present at time of dealer visit. No check engine light either.

Is this a tuning issue or should I look at something else??? I dont mind spending the money for a tune but I just want to make sure that it will solve the problem.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you need a tune. You're getting more air in and more air out, but the fuel isn't keeping up because of the stock tune...

OP
OP
MudnRox

MudnRox

Rebel without a clue
Reaction score
Thanks. That's what I was thinking. Just needed a second opinion before I pulled the trigger

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the size of the new exhaust piping?
What is the configuration - dual, single, x-pipe, etc.
Which Magnaflow muffler?

OHSIXX

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hit up Blackbear-they will set ya straight...you need a tune to adjust for the CAI and exhaust.

OP
OP
MudnRox

MudnRox

Rebel without a clue
Reaction score
What is the size of the new exhaust piping?
What is the configuration - dual, single, x-pipe, etc.
Which Magnaflow muffler?

I just entered year, make, model, and engine on Magnaflow's website and got part #16564. That's the kit I got.

Here's the specs on the kit as listed on Magnaflow's website:

5 x 11 x 22in. Muffler; 3.0in. Tubing; 3.5in. x 5.5in. Oval Polished Stainless Tip; SINGLE PASSENGER SIDE REAR EXIT

As for the Airaid Jr. I'm using the Airaid tube with the stock AC Delco filter.

It sounds really nice, which I like. But right now the drive-ability is non-exisistant. Not sure why but it will go into 5th or even 6th gear at 30 to 35mph. This in turn cause the engine to "lug down" unless I shift manually. Currently using 1-4 in town driving and 5th on hwy. 6th gear gets me nothing as far as power or any kind of acceleration.

I was thinking about going back to stock exhaust since the problems started after the Magnaflow was installed. It ran just fine with the Airaid tube and factory filter. I'd love to have a tune but not sure about kissing the warranty goodbye.

My first Tahoe was an 05 5.3L with a CAI and Magnaflow. I had no issues with it at all. Traded it for an 09 5.3. It also had a CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, and ran fine without problems. So I pretty much expected the same from the 13. I guess two out of three ain't bad. LOL

Last edited:

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
I just entered year, make, model, and engine on Magnaflow's website and got part #16564. That's the kit I got.

Here's the specs on the kit as listed on Magnaflow's website:

5 x 11 x 22in. Muffler; 3.0in. Tubing; 3.5in. x 5.5in. Oval Polished Stainless Tip; SINGLE PASSENGER SIDE REAR EXIT

As for the Airaid Jr. I'm using the Airaid tube with the stock AC Delco filter.

It sounds really nice, which I like. But right now the drive-ability is non-exisistant. Not sure why but it will go into 5th or even 6th gear at 30 to 35mph. This in turn cause the engine to "lug down" unless I shift manually. Currently using 1-4 in town driving and 5th on hwy. 6th gear gets me nothing as far as power or any kind of acceleration.

I was thinking about going back to stock exhaust since the problems started after the Magnaflow was installed. It ran just fine with the Airaid tube and factory filter. I'd love to have a tune but not sure about kissing the warranty goodbye.

My first Tahoe was an 05 5.3L with a CAI and Magnaflow. I had no issues with it at all. Traded it for an 09 5.3. It also had a CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, and ran fine without problems. So I pretty much expected the same from the 13. I guess two out of three ain't bad. LOL

That tubing is way to large for the 5.3 Stock is 2 7/8in. No more than 3 inches for 5.3
I believe 3.5 is sutiable for the 6.2 motors
you need Kit #16672
V8 5.3L; Excl. Hybrid
5 x 11 x 22in. Muffler; 3.0in. Tubing; 5.5in. Oval Polished Stainless Tip; SINGLE PASSENGER SIDE REAR EXIT

Last edited:
OP
OP
MudnRox

MudnRox

Rebel without a clue
Reaction score
That tubing is way to large for the 5.3 Stock is 2 7/8in. No more than 3 inches for 5.3
I believe 3.5 is suitable for the 6.2 motors
you need Kit #16672
V8 5.3L; Excl. Hybrid
5 x 11 x 22in. Muffler; 3.0in. Tubing; 5.5in. Oval Polished Stainless Tip; SINGLE PASSENGER SIDE REAR EXIT

16564 Specs:

Exhaust Type: Single
Type: Cat-Back
Diameter (IN): 3 Inch
Exit Position: Rear Passenger Side Exit
Includes Muffler: Yes
Material: Stainless Steel
Outlet Type: Single
Exhaust Tip Type: Oval
Includes Exhaust Tip: Yes
Exhaust Tip Size (IN): 3-1/2 Inch X 5-1/2 Inch
Exhaust Tip Material: Stainless Steel
Muffler Quantity: 1
Muffler Configuration: Single Inlet/ Single Outlet
Sound Level: Smooth Deep Tone

16672 Specs:

Exhaust Type: Single
Type: Cat-Back
Diameter (IN): 3 Inch
Exit Position: Rear Passenger Side Exit
Includes Muffler: Yes
Material: Stainless Steel
Outlet Type: Single
Exhaust Tip Type: Oval
Includes Exhaust Tip: Yes
Exhaust Tip Size (IN): 5-1/2 Inch
Exhaust Tip Material: Stainless Steel
Muffler Quantity: 1
Muffler Configuration: Single Inlet/ Single Outlet
Sound Level: Smooth Deep Tone

Last edited:

Regency

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if you're losing back pressure due to the exhaust size. Dealer is probably right. Nothing a tune can do to help with back pressure.

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even 3" tubing isn't needed until you get into the realm of forced induction and are making a lot of power. The stock exhaust flows more than adequately for these motors. I'd take the exhaust system off, sell it, get a tune for your intake, and add a magnaflow 12589 muffler if you want to retain the louder exhaust note.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unrolledtoiletpap