Coolant temp 02 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brasil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have some strange numbers to tell.... about my coolant temperature. He we go

after lets say 20 miles the coolant temperature gauge shows about 90 deg. C i.e 195 deg F.. this means the needle stays a little to the left...not strait up... so far so good

But when I do the Temp.check with a infrared Gun at the thermostat housing...it shows only 80 deg.C
equals 175 deg F

so I checked the temp also with an Auto xray 4000 195 deg ! But the hoses are not that hot...they are lets say warm...but not hot as the numbers are telling...

What do you think..? Thermostat.... and a faulty Temp. sending unit ?

Also...there is no Error code in the ECM

Hope someone can show me the right direction....

Greetings Juergen

I made the temp check, because of high fuel consumption....i.e bad milage. Oil 5w30 All Filters PCV Spark plugs and wires all new..all OEM AC DELCO

lkrasner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dash gauge in these trucks is never really accurate. It will go high when it actually overheats, but otherwise doesn't really mean anything. They basically just sit just below straight after it warms up, and never changes unless it starts to run away. It doesn't sound to me like you have any unusual readings. How bad is the mileage/ did it drop of suddenly? Any loss of power? I doubt coolant temp is your issue in any way.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have some strange numbers to tell.... about my coolant temperature. He we go

after lets say 20 miles the coolant temperature gauge shows about 90 deg. C i.e 195 deg F.. this means the needle stays a little to the left...not strait up... so far so good

But when I do the Temp.check with a infrared Gun at the thermostat housing...it shows only 80 deg.C
equals 175 deg F

so I checked the temp also with an Auto xray 4000 195 deg ! But the hoses are not that hot...they are lets say warm...but not hot as the numbers are telling...

What do you think..? Thermostat.... and a faulty Temp. sending unit ?

Also...there is no Error code in the ECM

Hope someone can show me the right direction....

Greetings Juergen

I made the temp check, because of high fuel consumption....i.e bad milage. Oil 5w30 All Filters PCV Spark plugs and wires all new..all OEM AC DELCO

Seems normal to me, no?

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
equals 175 deg F

JMHO, I'm not really that fond of the Gun idea, your comparing liquid reading to air, a gauge is not always accurate. My suggestion, drop a temperature gauge in the recovery tank for accurate reading when @ operating temp. Again, JMHO, good luck.
David g.............. :2cents:

sefiro

Reaction score
Infrared gun only reads the pinpoint temp and can't compensate for the heat distribution around the point. Thermostat housing could pick up heat from water pump or block , or be cooled by the fan.

Excessive fuel consumption is most commonly caused by
a) excess air to which the pcm adds fuel to compensate (look for vacuum leaks, clean tb, intake air seal leaks h
B) bad o2 sensor telling the pcm that the system is lean
C) excess work by the engine (ac on, brakes stuck on, etc)

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

brasil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys for your input

I will check the TB and the Injektors.....

Greetings Juergen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645