coolant smell weeks after changing water pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mazdawg(Mikey)

HGIC(head ginger in charge)
Reaction score
so its been a month since i had to change the water pump in my tahoe. its an 06 z71 with 183k miles. we were driving down the interstate when i heard a squeeling sound. we immedietly pulled off to the side of the road and found it was the pump gushing water and the squeeling was the water on the belt. after finding out that the tahoe wouldnt fit on my brothers car trailer, we changed the pump, serpentine belt, and thermostat right where it sat. i did put some dexcool in it but more water than i should. a few weeks later i drained the system and refilled it with the proper coolant mix. ive noticed after we drive it it smells like a coolant leak. ive checked the coolant level and it hasnt budged an inch but it smells like theres a coolant leak and its burning off somewhere. i would understand a few days or even a week later having that smell due to the coolant gushing over alot of parts and burning the residue off. is this odd or is this common?

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a plastic radiator fitting in our jetta blow up over a month ago while idling which sprayed coolant all over the engine compartment! Even though I hosed out the engine bay really well it still smelled of coolant for over a week of driving before it went away! Just make sure you aren't going through any coolant and you shouldn't have anything to worry about!

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes the smell will hang around for a long time. The wet winter weather should take care of it.

OP
OP
mazdawg(Mikey)

mazdawg(Mikey)

HGIC(head ginger in charge)
Reaction score
so i found the problem. apparently when i put the water pump on i jostled around the 2 hoses that run to the heater core and one of these plastic clips started leaking. is this an easy fix?
temporary_zps6417c8c9.jpg

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate those clips, I played hell trying to take some of those off a while back when doing my radiator flushing and such. I tried everything in the book without the proper tools to take them off without breaking them and didn't get anywhere, hopefully someone will chime in with the trick for them so we both can benefit from the knowledge!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401