Coolant leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

awkupp

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I purchased a new 2015 GMC Yukon about six weeks ago. Of those six weeks, I have driven it for two of those weeks. At 300 miles, we had to have the vehicle towed BC an antifreeze smell was coming through all the vents. Come to find out, the dealership said there was a fitting loose on the coolant hose and therefore causing coolant to leak. Well, the dealership has had my vehicle for a total of a month now, and it still isn't fixed. They had to replace all the hoses and duct work and now are replacing all the carpet. I'm highly discouraged abt my $67k purchase that I waited 8 weeks to be delivered. Anyone else hear of this problem? Should I write to GMC. Also, the dealership has given us a base model terrain for our loaner. Doesn't nearly match our Yukon :(

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Contact GM Customer Service and get a case number right away. You need to ask about a replacement vehicle as this is unacceptable. You may also want to check the Lemon Law in your state. Usually 30 days without your vehicle meets the requirements of the Lemon Law. You could also Google Lemon Law Attorneys in your area. This is totally unacceptable and shame on GM. I wish you the best.

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I would agree that you got a lemon. It's unfortunate but it happens with every auto maker from time to time. The majority of the Yukon's coming off the line are just fine. GM should either refund the money or replace the car. Use Google to figure out what the lemon laws are in your state. You might talk to your dealer about it first but, in the end, it sounds like you got a bad one.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow first i hear about a brand new tahoe just going completely dead on the freeway at 75 mph and now this if coolant is coming through the vents it was probably the heater core what state do you live in ?
Here in Arizona its 2 years 24000 miles or the end of the manufacterers warranty wich ever comes first
qualification is 4 unsuccessful repairs or 30 calendar days within shorter of 2 years or 24,000 miles. Notification/Trigger: Written notice + opportunity to repair to manufacturer.
heres a link to a site that has all 50 states lemon laws
http://www.lemonlawusa.com/
i had to deal with GM and an S10 i bought brand new that had lost almost all cylinder compression in one of the cylinders in the first 3000 miles so i had to play there game for a couple oil changes doing oil consumption tests then finally they coughed up a brand new engine

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Paging Gm Social media Internet customer service. Here is a good one for you.

Jennifer?

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i looked at just about all 50 states and your yukon qualifiys as a lemon in just about all of them

---------- Post added at 05:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 AM ----------

most states 3 to 4 unsuccessful repairs or 30 days out of service
shit some states if its in warranty they it can only be out of service for 15 days

---------- Post added at 05:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:13 AM ----------

and smelling coolant inside the vehicle would be considered a serious safety defect
if they have had hte vehicle in for service for more then 30 days or 15 depending on your state you need to send a written request to the manufacturer asking for repurchase or replacement of the vehicle and the manufacterer has 40 days to respond or reach a resolution with the customer and if they dont respond with in 40 days or give a satisfactory response or resolution then you have to call the attourney generals office to request arbitration

OP
OP
A

awkupp

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Huge thanks

Thank you to everyone for posting to my comment. You have all been a huge, huge help. I live in Illinois, and it appears that this state requires the vehicle be serviced for the same problem 4 times. I need to check the amount of days regarding it being in service, though, BC I should qualify for that aspect. Did I mention my vehicle only had 300 miles on it when this all happened??? And...when I first got the vehicle back from the dealership, it had two dents in the door panels (remember, it had to get towed), and so I had to bring it back in to get those fixed, as well as the Yukon still smelling strongly of coolant. Yes, toxic coolant. As you can see, this has all been such a nightmare so far. So again, thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I just called GM to make my claim on this to get the paperwork started. I will stand my ground. THANKS AGAIN :)

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best advice I can give is exactly what you said "Stand Your Ground" and do not let GM push you around. Others on this site have been successful with having their new vehicle replaced. Do your homework and have your documentation ready. Anything less than a new replacement is unacceptable. The coolant smell with linger for a very long time since it was in your vent system and may never go away. Keep us informed as this may help other owners.

OP
OP
A

awkupp

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I apologize for such a late response. So after everyone's advice on my post, my husband and I pushed forward with our dealership to make it clear we weren't happy and that we were seeking a full refund. We were told a full refund was not an option because the problem itself had technically been fixed, instead it caused other problems. But after the dealership talked to GM, we soon found out that we would have a new identical replacement vehicle. We didn't have to out up much of a fight to get this, thankfully. Come to do d out, our dealership agreed with us and knew that we had had nothing but problems since the purchase of our $68k vehicle. We got the replacement Yukon about two weeks later. This was back in October. About a month later, my Yukon would not start one day. Just wouldn't turn over. Had to call dealership, they had to tow it, and after having vehicle for several days, they returned it saying they can't explain what the problem was bc they truly don't know. They ended up calling the GM tech center bc they couldn'thonest with me and said figure it out. They reset computer and claim it worked. But the dealership was honest with me and said they having a feeling whatever they did didn't "fix" the problem. No problems with that since then. But I've noticed my air conditioning doesn't work and the car only really blows warm air. I've read other posts on here talking abt too much frion being out in at the factory and causing problems. Also, just after my last two drives, my vehicle is producing a "burnt rubber" smell...only it is broken in, it has 4k miles. Guess I'll be calling dealership again. What a nightmare.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trying to get my 2015 Tahoe replaced for AC issues that they can't seem to resolve as well as other numerous issues. What a hassle this has been. GM offered me $4000 assistance to help me into a new vehicle but only offered me $49,000 trade for a new one when I paid $65,000. That was a big help. Now I am having to go through the BBB Auto as part of the Lemon Law process in the State of Florida. What a nightmare that has been. Once that is complete and a decision has been reached in favor of GM (I'm sure) then I can proceed with hiring a Lemon Law Attorney. I have only been a loyal GM customer since the early seventies but that has no bearing. I even wrote a letter to the VP of Marketing. Never heard back. What a great company this is and customer no service is above all others. Good luck with your issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fafafyfy