Coolant keeps getting low

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gfunkfb09

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every few days by coolant keeps getting low in my 04 yukon xl. I have been putting the orange prestone dex-cool stuff in it. I have the 5.3 FLEX engine. I have 123,000 miles on the truck. Idk if I have a leak or something. It had 99,000 when I bought the truck and I don't think it has ever had a coolant flush or any kind of tune up done to it, what tune ups/ things do I need to do to tune up my yukon and get her running good.

I have already had to get a new fuel pump, and instrument cluster put in.

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Be very careful you don't mix that dexcool with normal coolant.

As for the coolant leak, you likely have a leaking water pump seal. It's very common, either that or your water pump needs to be replaced. At 123k miles, I'd replace the pump...you're in TX :)

IF you search my posts, I posted something before about how to properly replace the pump and some gotchas. If I were in your shoes, I'd drop the dex cool out, then water through the system, then do a flush, then replace with normal coolant. The dex cool can easily be screwed up by some unsuspecting shop adding non-dex cool coolant, and then you have sludge.

Good luck
B

OP
OP
G

gfunkfb09

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be sure to look through your posts, is it a simple process?

Yea man I'm 50 miles east of Dallas man.

robb.

Reaction score
ditto on the low coolant.......i left the truck parked in the same place for a few days..n sure enough there was a small puddle under the water pump......and im hittin 200,000 miles

gdddup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you may be able to buy, rent, or borrow a tool to pressurize ur coolant system. help see where the leak is coming from.

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will be sure to look through your posts, is it a simple process?

Yea man I'm 50 miles east of Dallas man.

I'm in Prosper..

Garret if you wanna come by the house sometime after Feb 5th weekend, I'm all for helpin ya out bro, just PM me

B

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every few days by coolant keeps getting low in my 04 yukon xl. I have been putting the orange prestone dex-cool stuff in it. I have the 5.3 FLEX engine. I have 123,000 miles on the truck. Idk if I have a leak or something. It had 99,000 when I bought the truck and I don't think it has ever had a coolant flush or any kind of tune up done to it, what tune ups/ things do I need to do to tune up my yukon and get her running good.

I have already had to get a new fuel pump, and instrument cluster put in.

Oh also, stop by autozone and ask them for the UV coolant additive. Buy the kit and put additive in so you can easily spot the leak on the block etc.

If you're seriously thinking about stopping by one weeeknd, better do that sooner than later so we can easily fix whatever is wrong :waytogo:

B

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had the same problem with mine. I was losing coolant and couldnt figure it out. I finally saw that it was just barely seeping out of the weep hole on the water pump. I ended up replacing my pump with a brand new pump from Advance Auto Parts. It was $120 but I got it for $80 with an online coupon code for $40 off any purchase over $100.
I paid for it online and picked it up in the store about an hour later.
Changing it out was a fairly easy process. The hardest part was getting the fan off the water pump pulley. I found some videos on youtube explaining the process very detailed. I even made a thread about replacing it. Go check it out.

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20349

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iupete