considering an 07+, air ride ?s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im considering selling my 04 z71 and going to an 07+ with fewer miles.
I read allot of horror stories about the self leveling compressor and components failing. but in the ones i have read, i havent seen it specifically listed. Is it rare, or im just not seeing the specific term?

I think i actually prefer the appearance of my 04, and none of my mods will carry over. so that is something that is slowing down my interest.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They're wearable parts and will need to be replaced but it is a pretty simple system to which I would be scared off from.

Christoph559

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This ^
I scored new rear shocks and compressor for 400 online so that's taken care of. Now onto the front which are blown and ride horrible!
I am going with the rancho quick lift struts and do the resistor in the connector

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have air ride on my 2006 Denali xl. Had to replace all my components in June and I got great deals online for evverything. I wouldn't say it's anything to be afraid of. Replacing everything is actually fairly easy if your comfortable with tools. I enjoy the ride characteristics of the air ride system over standard shocks. Plus it's makes things a lot more smooth while towing which I do enough of in the summer no the to make the air system worth it.

Chip18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's kind of a judgement call. Some people like it and some not so much?? Or 2004 Denali has it and it's very different from I'm used to. Lowered coils with coil overs and stiff spring rates. I'm used to crawling sideways over "speed bumps" and usually scream in horror if I hit an unnoticed "dip!!"

But with the "Denali" and so far (the system is functioning correctly) ... I don't care! Tons (hmm ... no pun intended.) of fun. :)

The system appears to be fairly to simple to work on and could be easily replaced if you don't like it. And yeah some $$$ involved there but price wise not to crazy. And if problems do crop up ... fixing it can come to close of replacing it.

Ultimately the whole "Auto Ride" system does fly in the face of reliability but only in the sense that the more "complex" a system is the higher the chance that "crap can go wrong." For me ... and my better half the "Auto Ride" is a plus! Were it not there the whole shock and springs thing would be in my hands! And my better half tends to think ... "I make poor choices!" This time ... shocks and springs (for the most part) are out of my hands. :)

But most likely "Auto Ride" has just as many fans as it does detractors???

MWR Denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
At around 120k I rebuilt the entire Autoride suspension on my '07 Avalanche. Front struts were blown and one rear air shock had a small leak which caused the compressor to run a lot and eventually wear out. I, like others that have posted, was able to get all the parts I needed online and I think I spent under $600 for the rear air shocks and compressor, while sticking with factory parts. Could have done it with aftermarket for half as much but didn't want to cheap out. For me, I love hooking up my trailer, turning the key, and watching the rear level out. Many have eliminated the system for cost savings or simplicity, but I enjoy having it there. The used air shocks are rebuildable and have value as cores, I think I got $50 each for mine.

Last edited:

Jason_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a more complex suspension system. The components cost more. There are extra steps, and potentially costs, if you wish to raise or lower it.

If you test drove two brand new Tahoes/Yukons fresh off the lot, one with auto ride and one without, many would be able to feel a difference. With a used Tahoe/yukon, it would be difficult to tell if the differences that you feel would be due to the autoride or something else. I cannot explain why, but I did not care for it. Maybe I expected it to be more like Audi's Magride.

If I find a used vehicle with everything else that I am looking for, I wouldn't let the presence or absence of Auto Ride affect the deal beyond negotiating on the price. At which point you could use the replacement cost to haggle the price down if it has it, or just haggle the price down if it is absent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cateyeburb