Considering a Yukon Denali Hybrid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marc Marc

Reaction score
I just turned 200K on my 06 Yukon Denali, and although it still drives like new, and looks new, I am ready for my next Denali.

I never paid attention to the Hybrids, but now I am driving 27,000 miles a year, often pulling my bassboat, and with the price of gas I started to look into the Hybrid.

I like what I have seen so far, and was just about convinced to make the leap an then heard a rumor that GMC may discontinue all hybrid trucks for 2014. Anyone know anything about this?

I will not buy a new car if it is being discontinued, so if it is true I guess I need to refocus back to the standard Denali. BTW, my 06 Denali has been the most reliable car I have ever owned, and I still like it.

All thoughts and comments welcome!

ciao,
Marc
Steilacoom, WA

hermetics

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would just get a new non hybrid Denali if your happy. I have an 08 Tahoe hybrid and love it.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
M

Marc Marc

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I should say that while I am happy with the performance and reliability of my 06 Denali, I am not happy with my fuel costs. These are easily my single biggest expense in my annual budget, including my mortgage. So I am hoping to get the same reliability AND gas mileage in the hybrid version. I plan to buy in July, but not sure there will even be any Denali Hybrids left by then; a vehicle search shows very few on the west coast.

After reading more customer satisfaction reports, maybe I shouldn't be hasty in deciding not to buy a 2013 Hybrid based on the idea GM may discontinue these. I was worried resale would plummet, and parts availability would be slim in the future, but maybe this won't be the case. I guess that many of the parts are the same as the non-hybrid versions (like engine parts) so maybe I don't need to be concerned. What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Hybrids are indeed being discontinued after this year.

There is a tiny little chance that the Escalade Hybrid might stay but I think that's more wishful thinking from the Hybrid community than based on any fact.

OP
OP
M

Marc Marc

Reaction score
Thanks for the confirmation; so I wonder, would you be concerned buying a 2013 Yukon Denali Hybrid knowing the line is discontinued?

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, they have been out since 2008, so pretty much everything that could be improved on them has been done from GMs point of view, so it'll definitely be the most reliable year of what was already a very reliable vehicle historically.

In regards to resale there's two ways this can go ... one is the way that all generations of vehicles go when a new gen is introduced, and that is more depreciation than over a usual year to year MY change. The other is that they will become rarer and sought after by those who like you seek the great combination of towing capacity and fuel efficiency.

I suspect that since gasoline engines will continue to improve in their efficiency and the likely introduction of turbo diesels sometime in the not so distant future, that the 08-13 GM Hybrid SUVs will likely become an obsolete vehicle, recognized for its achievement, but also one that was introduced/marketed poorly to the public and probably head of its time.

It really depends on your needs and preferences in the near and medium term. If you need something now and for the next couple of years to tow in style and relative fuel efficiency, and don't mind losing a little extra on resale, then the Denali Hybrid is likely the vehicle for you. Just be mindful that there's a realistic chance that any short term $ gains through mpg might eventually be lost in resale value.

OP
OP
M

Marc Marc

Reaction score
Thanks for your perspective, it helps to confirm some of my thoughts. As a guy who pays cash for "stuff" only after earning it, I tend to splurge up front and then meticulously care for my stuff so it lasts a long time. In this sense I am less concerned about the high up front cost of the hybrid in the hopes of realizing overall savings due to gas mileage.

More importantly, it is easier to decide to go fishing if I am not thinking that the trip will cost me $100 just for the gas to get there! I know it is smoke and mirrors, but nothing should discourage going fishing, especially fuel costs. I suppose I also do not believe that we will ever get fuel costs back down, making the hybrid even more attractive.

Now I just have to hope there will be some Denali Hybrids available still in July, other than black. I tend to go to all the wrong places for maintaining a black paint job.

Thanks again for your thoughts, keep them coming!

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're very welcome. :)

Well I think the fact that you're not in a hurry to purchase will serve you well. Once GM reveals the new SUVs, and especially once the 14s start hitting the lots, they will undoubtably offer massive discounts to get the old gen. of their dealers' lots. That will of course be the best time for you to buy, and that discount should go a long way in offsetting your own depreciation costs.

Keep us posted.

nvedamuthu

Reaction score
Personally, if I were to make my purchase again I would have gone with the standard Yukon Hybrid. The Denali Hybrid really doesn't add many usable features and it lacks the aerodynamic and lightening improvements made on the Yukon Hybrid. The 22s don't ride all that great and they aren't optimal in snow. Save yourself a few grand and go with the Yukon.

OP
OP
M

Marc Marc

Reaction score
Hi all, just wanted to let you know I will be a first-time hybrid owner. On Sunday I will join the ranks when I pick up my new 2013 Yukon Denali Hybrid in Olympia, WA.

I carefully debated buying with the knowledge this is the last production year, but decided to pull the trigger before there were no longer any Hybrid models in inventory. I got one of the remaining few on the west coast.

In analyzing my annual budget, fuel costs are my single biggest personal expense, by far. I drive more than 27,000 miles per year (half in city conditions), and on weekends pulling a bass boat. The Hybrid should more than pay for itself in fuel savings in short order. Having been a long time standard Yukon Denali owner, this will give me something new to experience.

I was unable to get the colors I wanted, but will not be unhappy with what I did purchase. Mine will be the White Diamond TriCoat, with Ebony interior, Sun/Entertainment/Nav package, etc.

So I will thank you all now for sharing your experience and knowledge with me!

ciao,
Marc

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10