Composite to sealed beam conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99YukonSLT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought my Yukon off my dad, it had some all clear and yellowed/cloudy lenses on it, that's just how he bought it. Looked "cool" but the output sucked. Last spring I picked up some black housings and new bulbs (standard replacement bulbs) thinking a refresh with new stuff would help the light output, it didn't.

After many discussions with one of my techs at work that does retrofits on the side and looking at all options out there, this is what we've come up with as the easiest and budget friendly light upgrade with some offroad lighting thrown in for good measure.

Parts List -

Black sealed beam grill (5x7 headlights) - GM1200356
All the necessary reflectors/turn signals for sealed beam grill
GE Nighthawk LED Headlights - read the reviews, well worth the price (almost the same as a full retrofit)

Eventually -

Rigid Industires DOT Foglights - my buddy at work put these on his lifted WRX wagon as an upgrade for our yearly trip to Northern MI to go watch some rally races and they are awesome, well worth the price if you have the $$ for them.

50in LED bar, roof mounted - more of "b/c I want to" thing than necessity

It's still in the single digits here so probably won't get anything installed for a few weeks or until it gets to at least the 40's.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That looks kinda cool

:thumbsup:

not too sure about the black housings and how bright that is though...

Last edited:

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like it too ...

It's got a black eyed children charm to it.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love a before and after comparison @ night with the lights on.

OP
OP
99YukonSLT

99YukonSLT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the late update. I ran into issues tracking down what was causing my Cam/Crank correlation issue for a few weeks and just decided to tear it down and replace just about everything. Which was inherently a great idea as I found my distributor gear was toast, chain had a ton of stretch in it, etc.

I literally just finished plugging them in today on my lunch break. They are pretty bright. I'm gonna try and align them this week as I need to get it to pass our emissions testing here also. If anyone else tries doing this I'm recommending removing the DRL relay.

I apologize if the pictures don't work. I'm at work and photobucket is being a pain.

http://s5.photobucket.com/user/BlackCurrantKord/media/Yukon1_zpsqq1id3sf.jpg.html

http://s5.photobucket.com/user/BlackCurrantKord/media/Yukon2_zpshmwcgjwj.jpg.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo