Collapsed Lifter - After 3000 miles!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skatejosh369

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So, I am stuck trying to figure out what has caused a lifter to collapse once again on me. Roughly 3200 miles ago, I replaced all lifters when I had one collapse at 200k miles, along with the cam. At this mileage, I didn't think too much of it, and just figured it was a common thing to happen at 200k.

Now, after 3200~ miles put on it after replacing all of the lifters, I had one go once again (I haven't pulled the heads, but I am thinking it is the same lifter). If a lifter is going to be bad, I would think it would be bad at the time in install and not 3200~ miles later. This is where I am struggling. What further could cause it? Clogged oil galley? A rough spot where lifter is (granted, the old lifter that was collapsed didn't have any scratches on it).

Has anyone had this happen to them this quickly? I replaced all so I wouldn't have to do this job again soon vs just replacing the one (1) that was bad.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was it an AFM lifter that collapsed last time? Did you replace the VLOM with the latest version? Did you replace the AFM lifters with the latest Delphi II design? Did you delete AFM and install an aftermarket camshaft?

What codes are you getting?

OP
OP
S

Skatejosh369

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Was it an AFM lifter that collapsed last time? Did you replace the VLOM with the latest version? Did you replace the AFM lifters with the latest Delphi II design? Did you delete AFM and install an aftermarket camshaft?

What codes are you getting?

I did not replace the VLOM, due to me not doing my homework before I did the job. It was an AFM lifter that did collapse last time as well. Truthfully, I am not sure if it was the Delphi II design, I just bought new ones from the dealership along with the cam. Did not do ADM delete.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not replace the VLOM, due to me not doing my homework before I did the job. It was an AFM lifter that did collapse last time as well. Truthfully, I am not sure if it was the Delphi II design, I just bought new ones from the dealership along with the cam. Did not do ADM delete.

The improved lifters are 12645725. The improved VLOM is 12571609. Standard lifters are 12648846. The improved rocker cover is 12642655.

You didn't say what year or engine. So what do you want to do now? Another repair with AFM or get rid of it?

OP
OP
S

Skatejosh369

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The improved lifters are 12645725. The improved VLOM is 12571609. Standard lifters are 12648846. The improved rocker cover is 12642655.

You didn't say what year or engine. So what do you want to do now? Another repair with AFM or get rid of it?

Sorry, its a 2008.

More than likely, another repair, since I just did replace all lifters a few months back. I would like to program it to get rid of AFM with a reputable unit that will not cause other issues.

Thank you very much for the information! Based off your knowledge, would you guess its the VLOM since I did not replace that?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know but could have been. Make sure you replace the left side valve cover as well with the new one.

You're going to have to take it down far enough to inspect the camshaft, why not ditch AFM completely then? If not in the budget, I get it and we'll help in getting it back together right. I would get a BlackBear tune and have them turn off AFM.

OP
OP
S

Skatejosh369

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't know but could have been. Make sure you replace the left side valve cover as well with the new one.

You're going to have to take it down far enough to inspect the camshaft, why not ditch AFM completely then? If not in the budget, I get it and we'll help in getting it back together right. I would get a BlackBear tune and have them turn off AFM.

I was going to get rid of it the first time around, but I couldn’t find a straight answer based off research on what all was needed as far as a compiled list.

NGAneer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang... my 07 is at 168k. I'm just waiting on this to happen. Dreading it and wanting to do a cam swap at the same time.

LandRanger

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was going to get rid of it the first time around, but I couldn’t find a straight answer based off research on what all was needed as far as a compiled list.
I purchased an AFM/DoD delete kit with tuning from AM Racing via Ebay for under $700, everything is included, soup to nuts including flashing the ECM to delete AFM from it. I now have 5.3 with standard lifters and cam with nothing remaining from crappy AFM. You may want to send the heads out to a machine shop and have them checked and serviced with that many miles. I would check the camshaft bearings before spending the money they may be worn or galled, that would require a complete rebuild. Carolina Motor Engines in South Carolina will do a long block rebuild for $2,300 plus shipping (around $300 for round trip).

I wish you well!

PS. You may not have a collapsed lifter, could it be the a relay under the valley pan or something electronic causing the problem. Maybe someone on the forum will know if that is possible, my number 4 cylinder exhaust lifter was the problem and it wasn't collapsed...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokin Denali

Latest posts