code p0161

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wiberforce

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi i have a 96 tahoe i got a p0161 code calls for bank 2 sensor 2, my question is the gasket between where the y-pipe and muffler meet is leaking, would this cause the 02 sensor to act up and throw the code or is it unrelated? Once the code is cleared it only comes back on if the car sits and idles for 10 min while warming up, thanks.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Bank 2 sensor 2 is the sensor after the cat on the passenger side and is there to check the efficiency of the cat. Your leak should not be effecting it unless it is so massive that the cat can't keep up with the massive leak. Fix the leak and then clear and see if code comes back. If does then if the sensors are all the same age then you may want to replace all sensors but you still may have a cat starting to go south.

2000tahoeZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With it being that old, I would be willing to be the cats are bad. They don't last forever. I Had the same thing happen, and ended up going with the Magnaflow cats and four new AC Delco sensors from amazon for about 500.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LBZYUKON

Latest posts