Cleaning carpet without leaving residual odors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What have others used to clean the carpets in the GMT 900 without leaving it smelling like a wet dog or carpet cleaner? Mine are tan if that matters, harder to mask any stains when not black carpet.

I have an upright carpet cleaner with hand attachments, also a drill brush which works great.

I've done a vehicle before with the drill brush and it took many rinse cycles to get the cleaning odor out, maybe I did it wrong.

Curious to chemicals used and methods.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
If this is for cleaning carpet in your ‘12 Denali you can shortcut things a bit. After ‘10 and if your 2nd row seats don’t have the hard ABS plastic, moulded, carpeted seat surround covers at the base, the 2nd row carpet can be removed.

07-10 have a piece of carpet that runs from behind the 1st row all the way to the back. Two pieces total. All 07-14 share the same 1st row carpet except the trucks with Bose amps like Denali have a hole cut out for the amp on the floor. If Denali carpet goes in a Burb with a center jump seat you’d see that hole from the 2nd row under the front, center seat.

11-14 have a front, center and rear piece. The 2nd row seats can be unbolted, removed and the two bolts holding the seat belt each side and finally pulling up the door sill allows the center carpet to come out.

Why is this important? Odor. You can use a pressure washer and Dawn soap to release all the spilled formula and barf from the carpet. If you have an air compressor you can drape the carpet over a trash can or something and blow all the residual water out so it won’t get sour and allow you to reinstall it immediately.

Be careful on stain removers. They can discolour the carpet leaving a blemished area where the stain used to live. The blemish may look worse than the stain did.

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can use a pressure washer and Dawn soap to release all the spilled formula and barf from the carpet. If you have an air compressor you can drape the carpet over a trash can or something and blow all the residual water out so it won’t get sour and allow you to reinstall it immediately.

Be careful on stain removers. The blemish may look worse than the stain did.

This is exactly what I was going to suggest. If you have access to hot water, even better…use it with a pressure washer. If need be and you have clean concrete available you can lay the carpet down and use a carpet cleaner - multiple passes in different directions. I would still go over it with a heavy duty shop vac and then an air compressor and finally a fan to help dry things out.
Dawn dish soap and oxy-clean are your friend. Don’t apply them directly to the carpet or it can be a pain to clean them out. Add them to some hot water in a bucket and dunk your rags/cleaning tools as needed.
When removing the seats it can be easy to forget which bolts went to what hardware and where. An easy fix for this is to either use multiple ziplock bags pre marked for each side, front and rear - “drivers”, “pass” “2nd row”…etc.
The other option is to screw the bolts/nuts back into place. Just make sure to remove them prior to reinstallation or you’ll be fighting the seats out and then back in again. Or you can just wing it and hope for the best.

Take some before and after shots if you decide to tackle this project.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WAY
WAY
WAY too much work, if you are going to bother to pull the carpet out, just put in new carpet, kits are not that much and you will be 100% satisfied.

Monz11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WAY
WAY
WAY too much work, if you are going to bother to pull the carpet out, just put in new carpet, kits are not that much and you will be 100% satisfied.
Wes, did you replace your carpet and what did you replace it with? OEM? ACC Essex? Where did u get ut? Did it come with Jute attached? I don't want any nasty jute!!!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wes, did you replace your carpet and what did you replace it with? OEM? ACC Essex? Where did u get ut? Did it come with Jute attached? I don't want any nasty jute!!!
I have not on this vehicle, I have on others years ago no idea where I bought it, some place online..... either amazon or out of a catalog, more likely out of a catalog
I purposely bought this one with black carpet and interior because stains are way less visible, I wanted black paint too but couldn't find a black on black denali even after months of searching without some absurd price tag anyway. I put full liners in this right away front and back and it has saved a lot of crap from getting in the carpet (gang of kids) saves the drivers carpet from heel wear too.
I would probably check OER, looks like gmt900 kits are around $300 or closer to 400

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn